water line stain removal

bubbajim

Cadet
Anyone have any suggestions on what will clean the water line stain. I've tried everything I could get my hands on and thought I'd ask before I start wet sanding it.

thanks
Jim

Attachments

• CIMG5507.jpg
    CIMG5507.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0

Randy J

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water line stain removal

go to wally world and buy some lime remover in the soap dept, like they advertise on tv for cleaning showers put some in a bucket with soap and just wash and rinse like normal.. never sand paper on a boat hull unless doing body repair

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried a cleaner wax? That is wax with a bit of rubbing compound in it, 3m makes some nice stuff.

Red

2000fourwinns

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On Off Hull cleaner. I bought some from West Marine to clean my hull from sitting in the water for months. They make it in gel form and liquid. I used the gel form because it was so bad. It wiped off the water stain without any effort.

Thalasso

Commander

MaryKate cleaner. Wipe on wipe off. You can't use it on Aluminum.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

What he said. Get the industrial stuff. You won't believe how clean it gets the hull without any effort. No affect to the gelcoat or fiberglass.

however, it stains a galvanized trailer so keep it hosed off

bubbajim

Cadet

What he said. Get the industrial stuff. You won't believe how clean it gets the hull without any effort. No affect to the gelcoat or fiberglass.

Excellent...I'm going to try this today. Many thanks

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Look at the ingredients. Need to find a cleaner that has oxalic acid.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Let us know what works for you.Very important when you are finished removing the stain.Wax over the area or the stain will com,e back faster than ever.The gelcoat needs to be sealed by the wax.A water line stain is organic.It is actually alive and grows/spreads.After I wax the cleaned area,I usually leave a thin coating of wax at the water line which will wear away in a few weeks and prevent a new stain.Charlie

whitecrystal1

Seaman

Slimy Grimy! Use Toilet Bowl cleaner on toilets lol j/k :p Anyways, Slimy Grimy cleans aluminium too so no worry about the trailer if it is aluminum. This stuff works great and I was happy with the results the first time I used it... no elbow grease needed ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqK1x6BSB1c

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

After cleaning it (and protecting the hull with a sealer or wax) the easiest thing to do is to have a couple of wet rags handy after you pull your boat. In 5 minutes you can wipe down the hull and avoid this in the future. I get this on my boat, and it's MUCH easier to wipe off right after you exit the water.

Jim