Loose prop housing in lower unit

muskie00

Cadet
I have a 1995 175 hp Evinrude Intruder.
Problem: Prop housing is loose, move slightly side to side.
I tighten the two nuts on the slotted hold downs but the housing does not tighten. Is there shims or washers I need to add? Anyone know why it would be loose?

Rob

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Loose prop housing in lower unit

It's a new, midwestern term. I thought you could interpret.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

When it comes to outboards, I still use my south Florida terminology. :)

jchristi

Seaman Apprentice

has is been worked on before? If so I bet you are missing part # 30 or #8 from the diagram linked to above

muskie00

Cadet

I'm an no outboard mechanic sorry about my hillbilly terms... The prop shaft goes through a 3" round part that has the bearings and seals in it. The 3" diameter part has 2 bolts that go through small slotted pieces of steel. I tighten the screws down but when I grab the prop shaft and pull side to side you can see the 3" diameter part move, its loose.

muskie00

Cadet

Thanks for the diagram. Its is called the BEARING HSG. SEAL ASSY.

muskie00

Cadet

I was getting ready to load my boat after a great day of fishing, waiting for other boaters to load at the dock I put my boat in forward and reverse a few timse then the boat wouldn't move. The prop fell off..... I purchased a new prop from iboats and upon inspecting the seal there was oil coming out and I noticed the BEARING HSG. SEAL ASSY. was loose. I put new seals & o-ring on the BEARING HSG. SEAL ASSY. and put it together. The BEARING HSG. SEAL ASSY. was still loose. I need to have it ready for fishing this weekend....Please help!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like needle bearings and or bearing housing worn out. Just my thought! Post yer results and good luck!

muskie00

Cadet

I really need some help here, I don't want to spend the money on a housing just to find out something else is needed to fix this problem. Come on motor gurus...

clanton

Rear Admiral

If the bearing housing is moving side to side, after new OEM o-ring install, and housing is inserted into the case the correct depth. The housing will need to be removed , inside of gearcase, and outside of bearing housing will have to be measured. One or both replaced.
If it does not leak and shifts ok, you probley could tighten it up with a stainless steel speedy sleeve from a bearing supply house.

muskie00

Cadet

Thank You Clanton, I will measure the parts and look up the sleeve you suggested.
Have a great week buddy.

Rob