Mercury Model KG-4 Help

kskiller

Cadet
I just got this motor from a guy here locally for $50. It has great spark but needs wires BADLY.How hard are those to replace? Also it won't run unless you squirt fuel right into the carb then it runs fine. I tore the carb down and cleaded it up the best i could but still can't get it to run on its own. You guys got any suggestions?? Should i just go ahead and rebuild the carb completly? I haven't checked the commpression yet but it sure seems like it has alot.Thanks for any help guys!!!

kskiller

Cadet
Re: Mercury Model KG-4 Help

Also where could i find a prop for it at. The one on it is pretty chewed up. Do they even make them anymore i should i just send it off and have it rebuilt?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The KG4 is an awesome motor and NOT for the feint of heart on a light hull. It'll run circles around any other 7.5 out there, and will even eat modern 9.9s for lunch!

First off, let's figure out exactly what you have for a magneto. It should have a Phelon mag, in which case the coils, points and condensers are available and likely should be replaced. Not hard to do the wires while you're at it - use solid metallic core wire. Go easy on the starter ratchet - they tend to get chewed up when folks go crazy with a pipe wrench getting them off. A harmonic balancer puller and some grade 8 bolts should pop the flywheel.

There's an off chance you may have a Bendix-Scintilla magneto - the lesser of the two mags they used back then. Coils and condensers are available, but the points are not for these. Clean them best you can and reuse the. The coils are very pricey!

For the carb, make sure the float floats and that the carb flows fuel. If you choke it, pull it over and fuel dribbles fuel out the throat, it's flowing. Not much to rebuild on those as the float needle doesn't generally wear out on those gravity fed carbs. Just make sure it moves freely and isn't gummed up under the float. A modern plastic float can be adapted (Sierra part number 18-7208 available right here on i-boats) by boring out the center to fit the old style float needle.

For the prop - what style does your motor have? If you have a smooth-bore propshaft hole, there are lots of props out there for your motor. If it has a splined shaft, your choices are more limited.

Your motor is well worth the $50 you paid for it. I'd be hard pressed to let mine go for 10 times that! You can definitely put some time and money into it and not get hurt on it. Go for it - you'll love running it once you get it going well!

Last edited:

kskiller

Cadet

You rock!! Thanks for all the info. It has good spark but the wires are shot. I bet there is at least 2 rolls of black tape per wire on them right now.LOL! As far as the carb i tore it all down and cleaned it up real well but im still not getting fuel into the throat of the carb.It still has the old cork float in it right now and i'm sure its shot. How do i get the old one out?? I tried just pulling it straight up but it acts like its fastened to something under it. Thanks for all your help!!