1983 Merc 115 stalls going into reverse...sometimes

vlambert

Recruit
Hello all,

First time poster, longtime lurker. Great resource!

Here's my problem. My 1983 Merc 115 stalls when putting it into reverse, but it only does it intermittently. I've lived with the problem for a couple of years now, but I'm now docking where there's a strong current, and this has led to some *scary* situations, as you can imagine. Is there something in the linkage that might cause this, or should I be looking elsewhere? I've looked in the manual to no avail, and frankly, it's got me stumped.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983 Merc 115 stalls going into reverse...sometimes

You may need to do a link & sync according to your manual and it must be done in the steps given. Also, take off your cowling and look at the shift mechanism, typically, the piece that locks onto the actual shifter linkage is on a threaded portion of the cable allowing for minor adjustment. Maybe you can dump an entire can of Seafoam into your gas tank to clean the system initially. It could also be a simple carb adjustment as those old motors need tweaks every now and again. Search the posts for Merc carb adjustments or take it to a qualified mechanic. Good luck.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Merc 115 stalls going into reverse...sometimes

Increasing your idle setting can help. Weather conditions can dictate combustion efficiency and for year round performance, maybe you just need to up the rpm's.....not too much or you will experience hard shifting (prop clunking)....but it won't (shouldn't) die on you.

Mark