1993 150 Johnson Faststrike 60* Water flow?

James R

Commander
I have two of these motors and have rebuilt both of them The first one runs well and has strong telltale with good flow from the exhaust tell tale at all RPM. The second one runs well with an occasional light cough at idle but is showing no water flow at the exhaust telltale. The head telltale is very strong just like the other motor. Idle temps at the heads on this motor are 134 Port and 144 at Stbd. Temp at the exhaust manifold is 120. All temps go down when the revs come up. These tests are in a barrel with flowing water so the water temp is up a little.
Should I be concerned that there does not appear to be water flow at the exhaust tell tale. I have not yet tested on the pond.

James R

Commander
Re: 1993 150 Johnson Faststrike 60* Water flow?

Faztbullet, Ezeke,Silvertip.
You guys are the knowledgeable ones.
Help me out here please.
Jim.

emoney

Commander

I've seen both answers to this question, however, your temps are fine so I'd think the difference is that one of the motors has the t-stats stuck open(or removed?). On my 140 (which is older, btw) the water stops flowing out the exhaust once the t-stats open.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

OEM shop manual has complete water flow diagram. Normal cylinder head temp is 140 to 150? F. If it's not overheating, run it in the water.

James R

Commander

I was beginning to think that nobody loved me anymore.
Thanks for the responses guys and forgive me for not including you and Tashasdaddy in the knowledgeable list. I am sure there are many more. Thanks to Iboats and all the guys on this Forum.
I hope that my bits of info are equally useful.

James R

Commander

I had hoped that I had cured all the ills on this motor. It is nicely rebuilt and I had problems with ignition. Fortunately I have a complete used system on the shelf and having replaced first the power pack which cured one problem and then the stator I finally had her running. Took her to the pond this morning. Fired up and idled smoothly. Took her out and up she came. Ran for about 1/2 mile at 4k and suddenly the revs just dropped. Throttled back and brought her back up again and ran for about the same and the revs dropped again. Started back to the dock but tried her again just up to 3K and same again. The motor has been run several times both in the tub and on the pond but always had those ignition problems.
No alarms and running on 50:1 with the oil system disconnected. No evidence of overheat. Put her back on the trailer no problem.
Any thoughts on this guys?

AlTn

Commander

try another fuel tank, vented, 1. motor runs as it should and original fuel tank/delivery has a problem 2.motor shuts down. Pump the fuel bulb to bypass the fuel pump to eliminate the fuel pump as a concern. 3. losing spark

James R

Commander

AlTn. Your comments jogged my memory. I had a fuel delivery problem on the other motor but the vacuum switch sounded off. No warning beeps on this one.
So I went in and checked the vacuum switch, linked out the wiring. No beep.
Continuity checks on the wiring around the blocking diode drove me a little crazy. Sometimes good sometimes bad. Wire in the diode had come loose.
Replaced the diode and we have a vacuum beep again. This may or may not be the direction to go in but I will pursue the fuel supply for now.
Diodes available from Radio Shack 1N5399 Cat' #276-1114. Couple of bucks for 3. BRP Kit $11 plus shipping. Duh.
Also over temp may not have kicked in and the fast idle did not work. More tests to be done.
Moving right along.
Thanks again.

James R

Commander

Tested in the tub. Fast Idle works now.
Fitted a new water pressure gauge. No reading. Am I correct in assuming the tube and gauge must fill with water before I will get a reading. If so is there a bleed procedure?

James R

Commander

Replaced the hose and bulb from the water trap filter to the motor. The filter is new as are the hoses and fittings. This boat is rigged the same as another boat I have with the identical motor fitted. We try to ensure that there are no leaks, fuel or air. Blew into the vent with the fuel cap on and the tank pressurized and blew back at me. Blew into the vent with the fuel cap off and no resistance. Vent working. Waiting for rain to fill the local lake to enable another test run.
Could still use some input on the water gauge question.