"Clearview" inline OB fuel filter; anyone use one? Good? Bad?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I've been using those white plastic-bodied, polyester-screen inline filters on my outboard.

Now, those clear-bodied inline OB fuel filters with the replaceable filter elements (like this Sierra product, there are at least three other "brands" out there, probably all the same exact thing):

18-7790_big_2.jpg

Anyone using one of those? Experiences? Easy to assemble/disassemble? What's the clear part made of?

(I'd love to be able to see if rubber bits from my fuel lines are flaking off, but I'm afraid that thing will leak at the seams...)

robert graham

Admiral
Re: "Clearview" inline OB fuel filter; anyone use one? Good? Bad?

Maybe install a Walmart/Attwood fuel/water separator($27), easy 2 screw transom mounted installation, then you've really got a filter! If your motor has an under cowl fuel filter, then just leave it as a back-up to your big filter. Good Luck!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Hm, would certainly consider that Attwood dingus. Got a link to one, maybe at the Attwood website?
(I see Sierra makes a kit, too, with a 21-micron rated filter for carbed OB's; that one be OK?)

Also, does that go between tank and primer bulb, or between primer bulb and pump on OB? (or somehow after the pump?)

EDIT: I dunno though, all I got is a 6-gallon portable and a 3-gallon jerrycan for reserve and I cycle through gas very quickly. Do I really need such an elaborate filter system? Never had a water-in-fuel or separation issue that I know of, main problem has been primer bulb disintegration:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=499321

Still wanting to know if anyone has experience with that clear-bodied inline filter.

foodfisher

Captain

I have one inline just before the carbs. Cradled it in a piece of pvc, slit for visability and protection from vibration breakage. Was cool to watch the fuel pass thru till the novelty wore off.

robert graham

Admiral

The Walmart/Attwood fuel/water separator looks just like an oil filter, works like a charm, cheap insurance against water/dirt/whatever in fuel related problems. It's not tricky or elaborate, I unscrew mine, dump it, screw it back on, ready to go! For $27 it's hard to beat! Good Luck!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

The Walmart/Attwood fuel/water separator looks just like an oil filter, works like a charm, cheap insurance against water/dirt/whatever in fuel related problems. It's not tricky or elaborate, I unscrew mine, dump it, screw it back on, ready to go! For $27 it's hard to beat! Good Luck!

If I can put that separator/filter unit somewhere between the tank and the pump on the OB (either before or after--preferably after--the primer bulb) , I may be sold on the idea. I do like the idea of being able to maintain filtration without screwing around with disconnecting lines and hose barbs.

So, where does it get placed in this system?:
Tank-->Primer Bulb-->Fuel pump (exhaust pulse, diapraghm/check valve type)-->[Current inline filter]-->Carbs

Does it matter if the separator unit is vertically higher than other parts of the system (primer bulb, pump)? (The only reasonable place I have to mount it would be fairly high up on the sidewall of the splashwell...no room on my transom).

If I do install one of these separator units, is the current inline filter (between pump and carbs) really necessary? (Love to simplify as much as possible)

EDIT: foodfisher, ever have any issues with the seams/seals leaking on that clearview filter?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

OK, so I decided to go for the fuel/water separator, in place between the tank and the primer. In reading on the topic people do 'em either before or after the primer bulb, but if you put it after the primer there is some concern that the agitation of the bulb can temporarily emulsify the water/ethanol/gasoline and make the separator not do its job.

I'm also going to install a clearview filter between the pump and the carbs, so I can see if my new primer bulb is disintegrating just like every other bulb I have ever tried.

foodfisher

Captain

EDIT: foodfisher, ever have any issues with the seams/seals leaking on that clearview filter?[/QUOTE]

No leaks w/proper install. I'd put water/fuel seperator as soon after the tank as possible.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I installed one on an Evinrude 40hp that I used to run... It seemed to work fine. I liked the idea of being able to see the filter and see that fuel was pumping properly.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have run one for years on my larger outboards. To ensure enough fuel delivery to my 140, I ground a couple of grooves in the threaded end that secures the filter element to the end cap. I have never had trouble with it and the glass cylinder seems to be chip resistant. You can buy replacement elements and if you are handy, you can replace the plastic element with a sintered brass element from an old Chevy carb--which is still sold in auto stores.