1970 35 hp chrysler 354HA idle and running problem

bstroupe

Cadet
Hope some one has suggestion. When motor is running you have to start it with the button pulled out and reved up. The choke works fine. As the motor starts to idle down you have to be quick to push button in and get it in gear and start to throttle up. It runs ok up to about 1/4 throttle after that the more throttle you give it the more it falls on its face until you back it down to 1/4 throttle. Any suggestions? Please help:

fucawi

Banned
Re: 1970 35 hp chrysler 354HA idle and running problem

Sounds like a problem with the carb and idle jets ..First have you got the idle screw 1 1/2 turns out ? If so ..Take carb off remove bowl and float ..dont loose the needle valve clean it all out and blow with compressed air and re fit . One great tip from Frank was to put a fuel filter between pump and carb as the pump can disintegrate and put bits in the carb. You should as well check the timing which means check the contact gaps and condition. Did it start this suddenly or is the motor new to you ?

bstroupe

Cadet

Yes the motor new to me. I just ordered a rebuild kit for the carb and fuel pump. Do you know where a cheap place to get tune up kit? It also has a spit and sputter to it. I will put a filter in between the two. I put one on the line from the tank. Thank you very much for your help. I'm an auto tech this is the first outboard i've worked on.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Carb cleaning and rebuild should help the sputtering... also check your gear shift.. had a similar problem and i needed to adjust my gear shift.. Definitely agree with fucawi... Low speed idle jet adjustment should help too..

bvsteamer

Cadet

Check the float bowl level and needle/seat.

bstroupe

Cadet

I was just informed my fuel pump kit is backordered. In the meantime I will try your suggestions and build the pump when it gets here. I will keep you posted on my progress. And again thank you very much. Buddy Stroupe

bstroupe

Cadet

I got the rebuild kits and rebuilt both the carb and fuel pump. It helped some but still has a miss, I checked and have good spark on both plugs. What would you suggest? points and condensor maby?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Resistance test on the points... make sure your battery is disconnected. I doubt it's the poinbts if you're getting good spark... Have you synced the carbs as per Frank's instructions in the sticky?

fucawi

Banned

Zopperman ..sync the carbs ..its only got one ???/

bstroupe

Cadet

Yes it only has one carb. It still won't idle. Bad miss on idle when in barell. I'm lost

wickware

Lieutenant

Checks if the engine is new too you:

1. Check your lower unit?s oil level
2. Check LU oil for water
3. Check for cooling water flowing
4. Check engine cylinder?s compression
5. Check points for contamination and proper gap .020 even if fire is present
6. Chance plugs if needed, they can breakdown under compression vs open
7. The list goes on if new to you, hopefully these will help, Others will add
8. Post Pics/past history that might help to feel the gen condition of eng/etc
9. List ?ALL? you have checked/done/results.

I love My 1970 35HP Chrysler Since 85! jow

fucawi

Banned

If its got a miss it sounds electrical ....clean the points ..change the condensers whilst you are under there as well

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some of these points settings can be real picky.. My engine is like that..

Also when settings the points, a lot of people get confused on how to set them, My biggest thing what younger was the: "till you feel slight drag" What is slight? Just a little? None at all?

Mine are at 0.020 gap.. If mine goes to 0.021 I'll have a mis in my engine.. This spring I had to regap the point 4 times. (1 time was a screw up on my part).