revitalizing a 59 johnson 35 hp

wallingdad

Cadet
i have been tinkering with a 35 hp johnson that has been sitting in a barn for 20 years. i finally have it running but very rough. i can hold the choke in and she runs consistantly but when i let the choke off after about 10 seconds she starts to sputter. i have changed the fuel lines, fuel filter, run cleaner in the fuel.
i am thinking that it is now the diaphram in the pump or maybe the high speed jet?
any thoughts? ( the longer i run the motor it does seem to get better but that could be my optimism).
by the way it is on a 1959 lone star saratoga. great boat from the 50's

Fred

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: revitalizing a 59 johnson 35 hp

Sounds like it might be time to overhaul the carburetor.

wallingdad

Cadet

thanks Daviet
i guess it is time to overhaul it. ii probably will put a new diaphragm in the pump too,

thanks!

wallingdad

Cadet

i rebuilt the carburetor and with some fine tuning of the jets this engine is running like a scalded dog. i have it on a lone star saratoga. took the grandkids out in it this past weekend and we did have fun. it runs great and looks great.

thanks for all who helped with suggestions!

Fred

kfa4303

Banned

Awesome! Wallingdad. We'd love a pic if you have one. Happy Boating!

oasisman

Recruit

How big is your boat and how fast does it go? I just bought a 1961 15 ft seamaid fiberglass boat with a 40 hp johnson. Wondering how fast mine will go. Any Ideas???
Thanks,
Paul
Rochester NY

wallingdad

Cadet

Awesome! Wallingdad. We'd love a pic if you have one. Happy Boating!

thanks! i am including a photo. it is the only photo i have right now and does not really show the engine. it is not original paint but it does look good. i am working on getting the bimini top done

boat.jpg

wallingdad

Cadet

How big is your boat and how fast does it go? I just bought a 1961 15 ft seamaid fiberglass boat with a 40 hp johnson. Wondering how fast mine will go. Any Ideas???
Thanks,
Paul
Rochester NY

thanks. i really do not know how fast. my saratoga is listed at 15 feet as well. when i took it out it ran pretty fast but was really loaded down with 4 adults, 2 children and 1 baby. the baby was not really thrilled to wear a life vest . she is 11 months old. anyway i would guess it would go in the mid 20 mph to maybe 30 mph. i do not have a speedometer though but it planes pretty easily and glides thru the water good.

i found some old ads for the boat and it says the boat is rated for a 35 to 70 hp. so i guess i am running on the low end of the speed. i am learning a lot as i go but having a lot of fun!

thanks for asking hope this helps.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

thanks! i am including a photo. it is the only photo i have right now and does not really show the engine. it is not original paint but it does look good. i am working on getting the bimini top done

View attachment 107122

Funny, there's a boat similar to yours for sale local to me. I was thinking today how nice my '59 35hp would look on it. Hmmmmmm

lindy46

Captain

Great boat! Love the fins - only in the '50s:)

wallingdad

Cadet

Great boat! Love the fins - only in the '50s:)

you are right. the literature even touts that the boat was modeled after automobiles. the steering wheel, seats, and dash, fins etc. that is what makes this boat endearing to me. it really is dated to the fifties. i told my wife that when she rides she will have to have a polka dotted scarf on her head with a big pair of sunglasses!! maybe drinking a coke from a 10 oz bottle......:)

kfa4303

Banned

Gotta love the fins!!! You have to be the coolest boat on the water, right? Congrats again on gettin' her up and running.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

View attachment 107122

Well, it is true. I found a boat like yours and I can get it for $350. It's not as nice as yours, but a paint job will do it justice. My '59 Johnson 35 will look nice on that as well. :D

wallingdad

Cadet

Gotta love the fins!!! You have to be the coolest boat on the water, right? Congrats again on gettin' her up and running.

you are right. i have had folks stop me and want to take a picture of it. when we cruise down the lake people in other boats will honk and holler. at the dock it always gets comments.

i do have a lot of fun with it.

thanks
fred

wallingdad

Cadet

Well, it is true. I found a boat like yours and I can get it for $350. It's not as nice as yours, but a paint job will do it justice. My '59 Johnson 35 will look nice on that as well. :D

that 59 johnson will be perfect for her. good luck with the boat. you will have a lot of fun fixing her up and on the water. they sure are eye catchers and cruise very well! that seems like a great deal!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, it's a 15 1/2' Lone Star Newport but it looks so much like yours. This one is a 1957 model. It looks to be in decent shape and I won't have to do much to get it ready for the water. I asked the guy to hold it for me till tomorrow, so I can take it off his hands. I may or may not have to convert my motor to a short shaft, but no biggie. I'll see when I mount the motor on.

Attachments

• 110811_143936.jpg
    110811_143936.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

that 59 johnson will be perfect for her. good luck with the boat. you will have a lot of fun fixing her up and on the water. they sure are eye catchers and cruise very well! that seems like a great deal!

How are things comin with that old Johnson? Yours looks like a 58 model, by the looks of the shroud. Likely it's an RDS-20 model? It looks the same as mine, but mine has the all white cover, rather than the gold. From what I understand though, the covers are interchangeable between the two years. I posted a pic of the boat I'm getting.