99 Bayliner 5.0 merc, alpha one I/O: Boat moves left and right at slow speeds

Bayliner99Aaron

Recruit
Why would the boat oscilate 15 degrees to the left, and 5-10 degrees to the right when holding the steering wheel still at slow speeds? Just had the boat in the shop, and all bearings are good, and the power steering is functioning properly. Mechanic says it has to do with the hull and the aluminum prop???

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 99 Bayliner 5.0 merc, alpha one I/O: Boat moves left and right at slow speeds

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... It's known as V-hull wander...

It's a boat in water, not a car on blacktop....

45Auto

Commander
Re: 99 Bayliner 5.0 merc, alpha one I/O: Boat moves left and right at slow speeds

Do a search for v-hull wander. They all do it. It has nothing to do with the prop.

Bayliner99Aaron

Recruit

Thanks. At least I know the lower unit is in good shape. My fear was something was going on with the lower unit at slow speeds.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup, they all do it. Key is not to over correct. Either small corrections, or - many times, just let it wander. It will follow a pretty straight course, just back and forth a bit.