No gas to outboard

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I bought my boat a couple of years ago, the squeeze bulb would never pump up hard but, after a fair amount of squeezing (perhaps a minute or more), it would send gas enough to start the motor. It no longer will deliver gas. I put on a new squeeze bulb (and, yes, I have the arrow pointed at the outboard. Problem still there. I pull the connect off the hose at the motor end and squeeze and fuel pumps out all over. I put my thumb over the end of the hose and I can feel gas but the squeeze bulb still doesn't get hard. I don't really understand how this works but it seems that there needs to be pressure on the line to force fuel into the motor for startup. I've checked the hoses from both tanks, the caps on both tanks, switched the lever from port to starboard tank and examined every inch of hose (heavy hose of the right kind for fuel) and everything appears fine. No leaks and no smell of gas anywhere. When I use my 3 gallon tank to get some gas directly from the small tank to the motor, it pumps up hard and puts gas into the big motor (1986 Evinrude 50) and the motor continues to run fine when I switch back to the 12 gallon tanks in the boat. Of course, when I stop the motor, it will restart because there is gas in the carb but it won't start a few days later without using the small tank and hose to get gas to carb. Any idea where to go next?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: No gas to outboard

You have left out far too much basic info and used far too many words to tell us almost nothing useful, Lootas.

From what I was able to understand, you have air leaks or bad valving in one line to a mysterious motor you haven't mentioned.

This is clearly NOT a Non-repair topic, but there is not enough info to tell me where to move it.

nwcove

Admiral

do you use the same primer bulb for both motors?

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes. Same primer bulb for both tanks (only one motor). Bulb is after the switch that selects the tank and just before the motor.

robert graham

Admiral

The primer bulb is a one-way, hand operated pump with check valves in each end. If either check valve is stuck, plugged, leaks, whatever, then pumping action is compromised. Generally the bulb should be held with the arrows pointing upwards towards the motor. All fuel hose clamps and connections must be tight with no in-leakage of air. If you bought an el-cheapo replacement bulb, then it could be your problem. Good Luck!

foodfisher

Captain

^^+1. Verticle position helps close the bottom check valve. Mentioned in an earlier (much) post.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. You have one outboard with two fuel tanks, a selector valve for which tank you are using and one primer bulb that works fine for one tank but not the other. Is that correct??

Air leak, restricted fuel pickup, bad anti-siphon valve, bad selector valve.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Almost there. Only the primer bulbs (tried two that work) won't bring gas under pressure from either tank but will pump gas like crazy when the connector to the engine is disconnected from the hose. Connector opens when I push the "ball bearing" in but still won't pump gas through. Today I'll buy a new connector but I'm thinking it is an air leak somewhere. Just realized, I don't smell gas or see leaks anywhere but that is because it is sucking in air not pushing it out of the line. Right?

nwcove

Admiral

dont overthink the problem, you are on the right track here. id dissconnect the line (if possible) after the connector just as a "double" check. but it could just be a plugged up connection. follow the fuel to where it stops.....which sounds like what you have done.