Evinrude 9.5 starting problem

dregsfan

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1971 9.5. I can only get it to start with a shot of starting fluid in the carb. It runs great once it starts. I don't want to make a habit of using starting fluid on a 2-stroke motor. I was going to take the carb off, clean it, set the float level and see if it makes a difference. Or just order a rebuild kit. Any ideas what the problem might be?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Evinrude 9.5 starting problem

Check and make sure that your choke is working. Are you making sure that you have the primer bulb pumped up tight? If you need to spray something in there to start it keep a small bottle of premix handy.

dregsfan

Seaman Apprentice

Check and make sure that your choke is working. Are you making sure that you have the primer bulb pumped up tight? If you need to spray something in there to start it keep a small bottle of premix handy.

Choke is OK and primer bulb is tight.

fireman57

Captain

Sounds like a good carb cleaning is in order. Check your needle valve on your float and make sure it drops each time the float drops. your primer bulb overrides your fuel pump but for some reason it sounds like it is not making it into the carb bowl to get used for starting.