How Many Locking Tangs To Bend On Prop Cone?

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been bending them all (250 drive), but wonder if it's really necessary.
SU1BRzAwODAuanBn.jpg

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: How Many Locking Tangs To Bend On Prop Cone?

I've been bending them all (250 drive), but wonder if it's really necessary.

Any tab you can bend that will engage the notches in the cone, is another tab that will help prevent the cone from spinning off ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I run Mercs. They have a nut washer with 6 tangs but only 3 tang holes on the rear of the prop. One will work if it never fails. Merc apparently feels that 3 will do the job saving you the other 3 for when you wear out the first 3, extending the life of the nut washer....yeah I know the price of the washer is nebulous when compared to the cost of a prop or the cost of loosing the prop when out on the water.

Your call.

Mark

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

yes usually only 3

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I run Mercs. They have a nut washer with 6 tangs but only 3 tang holes on the rear of the prop. One will work if it never fails. Merc apparently feels that 3 will do the job saving you the other 3 for when you wear out the first 3, extending the life of the nut washer....yeah I know the price of the washer is nebulous when compared to the cost of a prop or the cost of loosing the prop when out on the water.

Your call.

Mark

You need to keep in mind Merc not only used the tab washer but also uses a locking, or nyloc nut. The Cone on this Volvo does not have crushed threads like a lock nut. All that holds the cone in place is the initial tension you place on it (with a screw driver), and the tabs on the cone lock. Later Volvo cones actually had a allen headed cap screw that went through center of the cone into the prop shaft. There was actually a service bulletin issued by Volvo about drilling the center of the prop shaft for the revised cone. The old style cone system works fine with little chance of loosing the cone and prop just as long as most (if not all) the tabs are utilized. ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You need to keep in mind Merc not only used the tab washer but also uses a locking, or nyloc nut. The Cone on this Volvo does not have crushed threads like a lock nut. All that holds the cone in place is the initial tension you place on it (with a screw driver), and the tabs on the cone lock. Later Volvo cones actually had a allen headed cap screw that went through center of the cone into the prop shaft. There was actually a service bulletin issued by Volvo about drilling the center of the prop shaft for the revised cone. The old style cone system works fine with little chance of loosing the cone and prop just as long as most (if not all) the tabs are utilized. ;)

Ahhhhh, like Merc had prior to their development of the thru hub prop. I had one of those babies so I understand what you say.. and as I recall I had a '71 Chrysler 85 hp and it had the hub and tangs set up too.......however, There are a lot of tangs and again it only takes one to hold it....but that's not my call.

Mark