fuel not getting into manifold

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice
Hello gang....I had an issue with my engine last time out. Now I am working out a new delemma.

The engine cranks over....(but see my note below). I am getting spark at the plug and at the dist.points. ....I have a friend helping me out....we have the carb cover off, when I crank the engine, quite a bit of fuel spits/sprays out and UP from the carb....we have checkedd the plugs and they are dry as a bone.....fuel is not getting down through the manifold....any suggestions?

* My take on it. For some reason the engine (to me)is cranking differently, it just doesn't seem to be FULLY cranking...even though I am getting spark, something is not engaging that is part of the 'cranking' and that should be causing a 'suction' of the fuel into the manifold and to the plugs.....does this make any sense?

Thanks

Bayliner 1983 Explorer
Volvo Penta aq125b
4cy

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel not getting into manifold

when I crank the engine, quite a bit of fuel spits/sprays out and UP from the carb.

Fuel is blowing up and out of the carb?????????

Have you been working on the timing belt or ignition timing?

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don....

Yes...fuel is spitting nicely UPWARD out of carb....nothing is getting down inside the manifold. I am not an expert by any stretch, and I have a more knowledgeable mechanic (car) helping me. But to me there has to be a connection with the way the engine is cranking....it just seems like not everything is cranking......The starter is turning, the belts are turning...but it just sounds like something is missing....

we weren't working on timing...we were out on the water and evrything went DEAD....it wouldn't even start with a booster jump...I got towed in, took the battery to VIP and shes dead.....so I was thinking it was all battery related. I got a new battery, put her in and now it seems to crank funny and doing this thing with the carb.....thanks Don

Maclin

Admiral

That definitely sounds like the cam timing, like the belt slipped or broke. My bet is it broke.