1971 Evinrude 50HP Lark 50173S - Selectic wiring not working

Ilike2fish

Recruit
I'm going to try to explain as best to my ability of what I'm trying to do.

1. I have a 1975 Glassport Bass Boat w/ a 1975 Johnson 75 HP.

2. I've decided to purchase a 1971 Evinrude 50HP to replace the Johnson.

3. The 1971 Evinrude does not come with a remote control.

4. Swap out motor and plugged the remote control from the 75HP Johnson to the 50HP Evinrude. The harness plugged in just fine and boat starts up with the ignition switch.

5. The 50 HP Evinrude has Selectric push button for forward, reverse and neutral. But the 75 HP johnson is manually shift forward and reverse by moving the gas lever.

Is there a way to rig a switch from the motor and run it up to the front to go froward, reverse, or neutral?

Or do I have to purchase a complete Remote Control for the Evinrude in order to shift?

PLEASE HELP

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1971 Evinrude 50HP Lark 50173S - Selectic wiring not working

Yes, you can rig up a switch
No power on blue or Green shift wire = Forward
Power on green only = Neutral
Power on both green and blue = Reverse
A switch like this works: http://www.iboats.com/3-Position-Pu...58335490--**********.001714412--view_id.39667
Here is the disclaimer: By doing this you have disabled a few important safety features built into the factory control. You will now have the ability to do such things as start it in forward and shift from forward to reverse at full throttle.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

The lower unit defaults to forward gear when the ignition is not on so you should have power to the neutral shift solenoid (green wire) as soon as the ignition is turned on. This prevents starting in gear. Run the power to your shifter switch from the accessory (purple wire) on the ignition switch.

Ilike2fish

Recruit

Yes, you can rig up a switch
No power on blue or Green shift wire = Forward
Power on green only = Neutral
Power on both green and blue = Reverse
A switch like this works: http://www.iboats.com/3-Position-Pu...58335490--**********.001714412--view_id.39667
Here is the disclaimer: By doing this you have disabled a few important safety features built into the factory control. You will now have the ability to do such things as start it in forward and shift from forward to reverse at full throttle.

Thank you so much for all your help. But I know Im not that good with electrical so I went ahead and purchase a complete Remote Control from ebay.

Ilike2fish

Recruit

Need help with maintenance on the motor now. PLEASE HELP

The motor hasn't been running for 5 years now.

What process does it need that I need to do before taking it out to the lake?

Thanks Again