Drilled a Hole in the Wrong Place... What to Do Now?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think I made a mistake today. I have a 1986 Formula 206 Spider with a Merc 260/Alpha One. I was mounting some underwater LED lights and was drilling a hole through the transom to run the wires. Because my boat has one of Formula's bolt-on swim platforms, space for drilling the holes is limited. I drilled the hole and looked inside the engine compartment and couldn't find where it was. I then fed the wires through and looked for them on the inside. I found the wires inside a small gap in the transom plate.. It appears that the hole I drilled was behind the transom plate. I can't get to it from the inside to seal it, only the outside. I guess I am worried that the transom could start rotting if I don't find a way to seal it up..

Any ways to fix this without pulling the motor and drive and transom plate? I was thinking i would take a pipe cleaner and some resin and coat the plywood that I just cut, then seal the outside with 5200. Should this work? It's impossible to get to from inside the boat...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drilled a Hole in the Wrong Place... What to Do Now?

Yep, and gob it in good.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

How darn big is this hole?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

5/16 drill bit i believe