1976 Johnson 6hp Longshaft conversion question

emoney

Commander
So, I'm sitting here thinking about my little 6hp that I've had as a "backup" for a now-gone sailboat. Right next to it is the little hard bottom dinghy I recently picked up. The problem is, the 'Johnny is a long shaft and the dinghy only dates short shafts. Knowing that these Johnnyrudes used an "extension" to get to a 20" shaft, and without going downstairs in the dark to take it apart, I've got a question. Does the extension also include an extension for the driveshaft, or did they replace the driveshaft all together? In otherwords, can I just remove the middle part of the leg and any driveshaft exetension, put it on a shelf and end up with a 15" "short shaft"? It seems like, from memory, that there's actually an extension in there on the shaft itself, or I could be just having "wishful thinking". And yes, I know I'm being lazy.

If so, I'm a happy camper. If not, where's the best place to locate a driveshaft for a 1976 6hp Johnnyrude....that's affordable....for a poor guy?

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1976 Johnson 6hp Longshaft conversion question

Alas no, the driveshafts are different. Ask around maybe someone would trade ya a shortie for your long. I have a short 9.9 shaft from a '76 but i bet theyre different.

emoney

Commander
Re: 1976 Johnson 6hp Longshaft conversion question

Yeah, I thought it was wishful thinking.

So, let's move on to the next "lazy way" around this issue. What's the consensus on me adding to the top of the transom to use the long shaft on the inflatable as it is? I'm assuming it would nose dive with the cavitation plate 5" below the transom.....wouldn't it?

Why is it when I have a great running little motor, I have no use for it? My parents should've named me "Murphy"