New Boat Owner Mercruiser 3.0 question

jkoenig1980

Cadet
My brother got deployed again and left me his bot to look after for 3 years. I grew up around boats my entire life but im a dummy under the hood.

The boat is running what i think is hot. The gauge says 180ish then when i stop and kill the motor the gauge goes over 210. I replaced the t-stat, then i been reading about the sender. I disconnected the sender and the gauge read 0 then grounded it and it maxed out. So I thought the gauge was fine then i used a volt ohm meter on the sender and it was around 500 cold (one on ground, one on terminal). Pulled it out and put a lighter to it and the ohms dropped. So then stumped i bought a IR temp gun and took it out today. Wen we ran the boat and the needle hit 180ish i took off the motor cover and started taking readings. The top of the t-stat housing was 97 deg. The bottom where the sender is was 163, the big hose coming out of that was 162, but the engine block itself was 185. Does this all sound normal?

History on boat
2000 Sea Ray Bowrider
Been sitting since 2009 while he was in South Korea
Prior to that he had let his friend use it while he was in Germany and they failed to winterize it/ cracked block. New motor was installed to the sum of $5000 in late 2008. Been sitting since it was repaired until 3 days ago.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New Boat Owner Mercruiser 3.0 question

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Change the Impeller...

Taz59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same problem,after reading post on here I sorted it out myself :).
When was the impeller last changed,if not sure change it.
After changing my impeller temp was still high & traced fault to riser,full of rust restricting the flow of water.
Is there any water comming out of the back of transom.
I learnt so much tracing this fault.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

The manifolds and riser need to be cleaned out periodically. If that hasn't been done recently it may be time.

Impeller prob needs replaced.

Is this a saltwater or freshwater boat?

jkoenig1980

Cadet

I bought an impeller kit. I have installed one on a small outbord before. I dont think it has been changed in a long time. I asked him if the person who rebuilt the engine did it. Looking at the paperwork the answer is no. Its a freshwater boat but it came from California so i dunno if it has been in the ocean in the past.

jkoenig1980

Cadet

So is the temp gauge supposed to be the water temp at the sender or the engine temp?

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Coming out flow from engine block at t-stat manifold area. \

jkoenig1980

Cadet

What would i consider normal temp in that spot for this motor?

I replaced the impeller today and it looked in real good shape. but the rubbercap that went on top of the impeller housing was rotted and broke in half.

4js

Petty Officer 3rd Class

^^^ I second that question....???

jkoenig1980

Cadet

Here is what i have come up with. I unhooked the water line from the thermostat that goes to the manifold and jetted water thru it with a water hose. all came out wonderful. Then i got to thinking this manifold and elbow looks new. I think that when the boat went unwinterized in Maryland that the manifold was toasted too. Because nothing under the hood looks over 10 years old. so i ran it in my wife's big Tupperware she had stored old cloths in the attic (she is not happy bout that btw) ran it full blast for 5 min. The gauge was reading 210. I couldn't get a temp over 170 anywhere on the motor or hoses. After this i let it sit all day. As long as the wire is connected to the sender the temp will not drop below 130. So I think the gauge is toast. Ill keep you posted when the new one arrives.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Here is what i have come up with. I unhooked the water line from the thermostat that goes to the manifold and jetted water thru it with a water hose. all came out wonderful. Then i got to thinking this manifold and elbow looks new. I think that when the boat went unwinterized in Maryland that the manifold was toasted too. Because nothing under the hood looks over 10 years old. so i ran it in my wife's big Tupperware she had stored old cloths in the attic (she is not happy bout that btw) ran it full blast for 5 min. The gauge was reading 210. I couldn't get a temp over 170 anywhere on the motor or hoses. After this i let it sit all day. As long as the wire is connected to the sender the temp will not drop below 130. So I think the gauge is toast. Ill keep you posted when the new one arrives.

Get a proper water muff!:eek: