1990 454 Crusader engine issue? locked up, but restarted next morning?

howarjo1

Recruit
This is my first post, but I have been using the site for years- great advice on here! My question is actually for my father's boat, 34' Mainship W/ twin 454 crusaders. Long story short he went out last weekend for an overnight stay from one river to the other ~ 1.5 hour cruise. When he reached the other river about 1.5 hours into the trip, he noticed the starboard engine shut off (did NOT overheat). He tied to re-start the engine with no avail, he stated it wouldnt even crank over, so he thought he lost the engine. The next morning he tried to start the engine and it fired right up and ran "ok", it ran alittle rough during low idle though. Later in the day, he limped back home on 1 engine, but when he came into the marina he started up the starboard engine to manuever into the slip, he said the starboard engine ran "ok" with alittle hesitation at low idle. Obviously he is really concerned as to what happened and what may have caused the engine to shut off and not turn back over. He said when he tried to re-start the engine immediately after it died, it wouldnt budge, not even a crank.

I do not have too much experience, so I was really hoping to get some advice from you guys on the forum.

Possibilities?
- blown head gasket?
- exhaust manifold issue?

Really appreciate all comments, as we want to understand the issue.

Thanks in advance!

thumpar

Admiral
Re: 1990 454 Crusader engine issue? locked up, but restarted next morning?

I would check the oil on the problem motor. It could have hydrolocked and then drain through the rings to start back up.

howarjo1

Recruit

I will check the oil this afternoon, I'm assuming to look for higher levels/ possible water intrusion? Is the main cause of hydro locking the exhaust manifold/risers? I was thinking of doing a compression test and if that went ok, I will assume its the manifold/risers. I'm just curious as to how it re-started without taking the spark plugs off and blowing the water out (if it truely hydrolocked).

Looks like I still need to do some investigating....

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

If left to sit the water will drain through the rings into the oil pan. Depending on how worn the rings are depends on how fast the water drains.

The other thing to consider is the watter shutters in the exhaust, if they failed water can backflood the engine.

Check oil level, if high drain and look for water, if it is milky drain it and replace it. You may have to change several times to get rid of all the water.

Pull the plugs and see if you can see any signs of water intrusion.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

The other thing to consider is the watter shutters in the exhaust, if they failed water can backflood the engine.

Crusader= inboard not I/O, no shutters.

howarjo1

Recruit

Thanks for the input! Question: When I check the oil and possible verfiy there is water in the oil, how do I determine the root cause? Could it have been a fluke from a wave or could i have a leak in the exhaust manifold/risers - how do you check for an internal leak?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the input! Question: When I check the oil and possible verfiy there is water in the oil, how do I determine the root cause? Could it have been a fluke from a wave or could i have a leak in the exhaust manifold/risers - how do you check for an internal leak?

Ayuh,... See if any of the sparkplugs are water wet...

howarjo1

Recruit

The mechanic came today and said he couldn't find anything wrong....? I wasn't down there with him, but he said he ran the engine for an hour and he ran fine with no differences from the port engine.

Do you think it just could have been a fluke or do you think we should get a second opinion?

We will most likely take it out tomorrow for a run to see if we can replicate the incident.....

Any thoughts?