Advise for trailer needed

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok need help... Will this trailer work for my boat and is it a good deal... I plan on goin to look at it tomorrow

My boat is a 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 Fish n Ski; link to thread is in signature... It's 15-15.5 feet long beam is 72 inches ish... the current trailer that it came with is 50" from inside fender to inside fender and around 14' feet long... basically its too small.. will the trailer in this add work for my set up? Good Price?

If this is a good deal and i do buy the trailer what is the best way to adjust it to fit my hull?

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2500887860.html

Thanks in advance

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Advise for trailer needed

From the looks of it I believe it will work for your boat. You need to take some good measurements first though. You need to know how wide it is from the bottom corners of the boat, not the overall beam. This trailer's bunks sit lower than your current boat there for while your boat ride over the current fenders, it might not clear this newer trailers fenders and guides. If it will clear the fenders but not the guides, I am sure they can be modified or just removed completely. I also believe that it is a fair price for what you are getting. From the looks of it the bunks are adjustable both in angle and in height. I would go for it. These things sometimes disappear quick... then again sometimes you can't unload them for free. :)

Good Luck!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It all depends if the bunk supports are welded/fixed in place, or if they are adjustable.

Also in the first photo, it looks like the front half of the trailer is torqued/bent. And there appears to be some welding in the area of the front crossmember.

check it out real good.

I'd be more inclined to go for this one, shoot him an offer and see what he says.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2448927442.html

Jetwash

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure its not highing a lot of rust. Otherwise I think the price is fair. Its go to fit to be worth it.

Piece715

Ok so the trailer wasn't bent roscoe... which was the good part. Overall a decent trailer... now the bad. It would need new paint which was obvious but also hours of wire wheel and sanding due to rust. The part that looked to be welded was actually the PO sprayed rustoleum over areas of high rust with gold due to being unable to match the stock paint. The front jack was decent but the winch was not good.. the strap was a piece of thin nylon rope. The main thing that steered me away was when i examined the coupler. It was fairly rusty and i could not get it to latch. The owner came over and told me that it liked to stick and sometimes u have to bump it or take a hammer to it. I thought bout a replacement but in order for this to happen the old one would have to be cut off and a new one welded on, no other way around that... so i passed on it all together

Now this just popped up this morning and the owner just txt'd me saying a 19ft boat will fit. Is this one overkill/ too large? What if I can get out of there with it for $400? Thoughts?.... Comments?
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2505436123.html

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

That trailer would be just fine for your use.

Trailer couplers are most often rusted if they're over a couple of years old, but they can be cleaned, lubed and the head adjusted--no big deal. I always carry a hammer in my truck--for certain couplers.

The trailer was originally built for a V hull boat--but the bunks were setup for a flat bottom. You will need to be readjust the bunks for a V hull, which is not hard to do. You might need to purchase some parts from a boat dealership or Bass Pro Shops to reconfigure them. Sanding and repainting a trailer is just a good afternoon job.

When you purchase any used trailer, it's a good idea to install new bearings, Bearing Buddies and tires immediately. You never know how old tires are--possibly dry rotted (I speak from experience.) Also, make sure all wiring/lights are working properly. There's nothing worse than getting stranded on the side of a highway.

Piece715

Appreciate the input Bamaman... Yeah the brown trailer would have worked but the rust was a decent amount... I completely restored my current trailer (attached photos) and put a lot of hours into it

What about the trailer i listed today... http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2505436123.html... what ya think?

Attachments

• Finished fender.JPG
    Finished fender.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bumpers mounted bunks place.JPG
    Bumpers mounted bunks place.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
  • finished trailer (full).JPG
    finished trailer (full).JPG
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • Finished winch set up.JPG
    Finished winch set up.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Finished trailer.JPG
    Finished trailer.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 0

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Id go make an offer on that roller trailer Roscoe posted, if it were me looking Piece.

Thats a nice trailer, looks kinda like my EZ Loader.

Borgey401

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree 100% with bouttime007. Why not make an offer on the roller trailer? It's really not much more then some of the others, and you're getting a very nice trailer. Just remember you get what you pay for. I am sure you already know but that applies to ALMOST everything in life.

Piece715

Went and looked at that last trailer and it was too wide. Beautiful trailer and barely any rust.. the bearings would have to be replace but it was a beaut. The bunks were not adjustable and the outside set would have been half on the boat and half in the air and then the fenders would have been a foot outside that. Soooo back to square one.

I did a quick check of my boat and there are tow welds that are holding the winch in place that i may be able to cut and move like it was designed to do... im thinking i may look into just working on my trailer to make it work... would be cheaper than a new trailer anyway.... Ill post pics of what i find... Thanks for all advice everyone!

Bouttime: I'll have to see if its still posted... if it is i could talk him down off the price im sure

Piece715

Posted this under my resto thread as well.
Now I know its been a while since I have reported on any progress on my boat. I will try to take pictures soon but I am still looking for a trailer as mine is too small. Found this one recently and working on a trade. He is asking $450 plus my trailer for this one. I offered $250-275 plus my trailer and waiting for a response. Just wondering if I'm in the ball park and if this would even work for my boat. Thanks for the help; Link below:

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/boa/2709789476.html