Would like to put a rev limiter in my 3.0L....

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Cruising the other day, I felt like my engine was turning faster than my ?seat of my pants? felt?and when I tapped the face of the tach, it moved to the true rpm?s.

This got me thinking: ?has anyone ever wired in a rev limiter on their 3.0L??

My only past experience with a rev limiter has been in a MSD ignition, and I found out by visiting their site that they offer the MSD 6M-2L for marine use. Has this ever been discussed here?

Other than MSD, is there a way to limit the revs on a 2005 3.0L?

Happy boating!

207lx5k.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Would like to put a rev limiter in my 3.0L....

Ayuh,... Sure Is,....

Put the Right prop on it...

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... Sure Is,....

Put the Right prop on it...

Been there and done that! My prop gives me the desired 4800 with my usual load.

But I would like to know that my engine would rev limit if 'pushed' in neutral, or if something started freewheeling in the drive.

I didn't over rev the other day...just wasn't reading where it should have. Even if I decide to change out the tach, I wouldn't mind having the limiter.

Happy boating!

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

Doesn't a 2005 engine already have a rev limiter? If not, just be careful with it.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Doesn't a 2005 engine already have a rev limiter? If not, just be careful with it.

I suspect that the larger displacement engines will do this...but my 3.0L does not have any computer controls.

Thanks for stopping by!

Happy boating!

45Auto

Commander

Get a tach that works and back off the throttle if it's going too high?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's your money, buy it if you want.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

It's your money, buy it if you want.

I'm not thinking about the MSD, although I loved the few I have had in cars.

I was just curious if anyone has used one, and if there were any other ways to limit your rpm's outside of prop selection (which I already have right).

Thanks guys...and would a moderator please close my thread.

Happy boating!

debo1683

Cadet

We may not be talking about the same thing here ... since my motor is older. I have a 1990 3.0L with a DDIS and in the manual it says up to 4750 RPM it will provide normal spark, at 5050 it will have intermittent misfire, and at 5150 it will shut off the ignition completely. Maybe we are talking about apples and oranges, but it seems like your motor would already have a limiter...

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

We may not be talking about the same thing here ... since my motor is older. I have a 1990 3.0L with a DDIS and in the manual it says up to 4750 RPM it will provide normal spark, at 5050 it will have intermittent misfire, and at 5150 it will shut off the ignition completely. Maybe we are talking about apples and oranges, but it seems like your motor would already have a limiter...

I have the Mercruiser service manual for my year engine, and I am going to see if there is anything worded like that. I will let you know...and 'thanks' for the suggestion!

Happy boating!

Edit: My service manual doesn't discuss this, but my owners manual (dated 2001) says:

IMPORTANT: The engines covered in this manual are equipped with an rpm rev-limiter that is set to an
upper (or limited) rpm amount. This limit is slightly above the normal operating range of the engine and
is designed to help prevent damage from excessive engine rpm. Once the rpm drops into the
recommended operating rpm range normal engine operation resumes.

My distributor is an EST unit, so I am not sure if the 2001 owners manual is correct for me. I guess that I can see if I can go past 4800 while in neutral (and in the water) without any noticable rev limiting taking place.

Thanks again for your input!