Riser gasket leak or rust streak (with picture)

Benjamaximum

Recruit
Hi there,

I am a new boater. As green as they come. I was staring at my engine the other day and noticed these streaks coming off the risers at the gasket. The risers are new under a year. Any advice on this. Should I replace these gaskets or am I just worrying about nothing? My boat is a 2000 Beretta with a 350 mercruiser. See picture of engine attached. Thanks in advance.

last boat day 2010 027.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Riser gasket leak or rust streak (with picture)

Should I replace these gaskets

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Yes, change 'em out....

If they're leakin' Out, they may also be leakin' In...

Benjamaximum

Recruit

Cool thanks. That's what I thought. Any chance you can tell from the picture what kind of gasket I need? There seems to be a few. I am assuming this is centre riser manifold gasket, but do I need the restrictor or regular gasket? And along the same lines, what's the best stuff to spray on the bolts to help loosen them? Like I said, I'm new and would rather ask stupid questions than make a stupid mistake.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Not sure what exact gasket you need in regard to a part number... but make sure you get the good grey / graphite type gasket - not the green paper one. If the bolts are stuck, you can try PB Blaster.

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree......use the shiney/silvery gaskets.........sometimes that material is called Grafoil....I think.

I would be safe (rather than sorry), and replace those manifold-to-elbow gaskets. Clean/check all mating surfaces...maybe check flatness with a straight edge.
I have salt streaks on my Y-pipe and secondary exhaust elbows, but an occasional trickle in that area poses no threat of water getting back into exhaust valves.