HD- 25 sparking trouble Need help

Druidsnightmare

Recruit
First off let me hey hello and good day to all! You have a wonderful site full of a vast amount of knowledge . I have been perusing the forums for a little while now trying to troubleshoot my Johnson HD-25 engine. I realize that there have been several posts about getting a spark to these engines and I have done all that I can think of to try and get a spark. The coils were replaced as well as the condensers and the points were fully disassembled and sanded down to bright metal and set to .20 as well as buying new spark plug wire and new boots as well . I?ve gone as far as even replacing the ground wire and any other wires that looked corroded just to try and rule out the wires as a possibility of non-spark. I followed a link from a previous post to the Poche ignition test and followed it to the letter when the points are open the ohms meter drops to closed so the points are functioning correctly. I also bought a spark tester from advance to check now I know this wasn?t smart but when I held the sparkplug wire in between my fingers and turn the flywheel I get a shock but when I plug in the tester nothing. I bought this engine off of ebay and came to me seized, freed it and now dealing with the ignition problem, the last thing I wanna do is admit defeat so I need a lil help from those who know more than me. Any help at all would be appreciated.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: HD- 25 sparking trouble Need help

Wow, it looks like you covered everything in replacing the ignition system. If you're getting spark in your fingers and not on the tester, then the tester must not be grounded properly. I would just put some spark plugs in the ol' booger and fire it up. Are you getting shocked from from both leads, when you touch them? If so, then I don't see why it shouldn't start. I'm in the midst of restoring an earlier version of your motor now, but mine is the pre-war model (1941 HD-20) If you're still having issues, then I would thoroughly check all connections again and make sure that you didn't miss anything.

lindy46

Captain

No, he didn't replace the points, just filed them down. Well, there's your next job - replace the points.

Druidsnightmare

Recruit

well I threw some fresh spark plugs and some gas and.......... absolutely nothing....:mad:
I guess it's time to go to the points again. I checked on engine, blade and prop and asked them about the points and they have pull offs no NOS so I'm gonna keep searching.