New to boating!

xlur8ed

Cadet
Hello All,

My name is Jason and I reside in Fargo, ND. I have spent the last few weeks acquainting myself with as much knowledge as I can possible retain from this site. You guys are awesome, and very appreciated for sharing your trials/errors/successes. I have never owned any type of boat and with a recent sale of a spare car, had some funds to purchase my first toy. I was lucky to come across a bit of a 'barn find' in a 92' Glastron G1900 with the Mercruiser 4.3/Thunderbolt. The boat is truly a site to see, as it is in as much of 'mint' as possible (no fading, only 'damage' was the rear bench seat had a small tear and the keel had been rubbed lightly from beaching...but felt smooth to the touch, so no major issue). I have looked into a Keelguard and believe I will be installing one shortly as I camp a lot and would like to safely beach it (within reason).

All that aside, I have so much worry about buying a 20 year old boat, no matter mint or not. Especially one that has been sitting in a storage unit for ~2 years. I have a local marine shop doing a complete tune up on it (plugs/wires/fluid change/grease/waterpump/coil (the previous owner said it would lose spark after being on the water for a bit, but then come back to life after it cooled down...my research here found the most common culprit to be the coil, and the marine guy agreed). So my questions are this: If you purchase a boat of this age from a person you believe to have been anal about maintenance/winterizing/storage, is there any real reason to be scared to take it out and 'trust' it? The purchase of this boat is strictly contingent on a good running report card after the tune up, but after that fact is this something that is going to cost me a lot of money in the days/weeks/months to come? I do not have a lake home, so it will be loaded/unloaded every time I use it, which means a 45 minute drive to a lake to enjoy a day in the sun, only to deal with issues..... I guess I am asking about the Mercruiser 4.3L reliability in the long run. I know and understand that winterizing and general maintenance is key to longevity of its life, but do these nickel and dime constantly with its age?

Any helpful insight from someone with a few spare moments is greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I am very fresh to boating and just want to know what I am getting myself into.

Thank you so very much to anyone willing to offer any insight to the Glastron as a company, the boat in question directly, and the Mercruiser motor in it.

Happy Boating!

Jason

thumpar

Admiral
Re: New to boating!

The 4.3l is a great motor. A buddy of mine had a boat with one. I have 2 astro vans with 4.3l motors and owned another in the past. 20 years old doesn't concern me. The only thing on them that is a bit of a weak spot is the intake manifold gasket but that may have been fix at some point.

xlur8ed

Cadet

Thanks for the input! What is a symptom of the intake manifold gasket failure?

I work for a speedshop, and have 2 mechanics that have had blazers with the 4.3L, so that is a bit of comfort (I do not wrench), and I'd imagine replacing the intake manifold gasket doesn't take too much effort on their part.

Thanks again!

thumpar

Admiral

If the intake manifold gasket goes you will usually end with water in the oil. On a boat it is not hard to fix. I don't think it is a real common issue but it is probably the most common on these engines. The one in my 94 asto went. It is a pain on a van.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds to me like a good start .. A 4.3 is basically a cheby [GM]350 w 2 cylinders chopped off. My 86 that I bought in 1990 is still going strong and has never had a problem. My buddy has an older Glasstron that he beats the snot out of smashing into every big wave on the lake[ To the point where I dont even fish with him any more cuz it isnt worth feeling like I got hit by a truck for the next 5 days.] And some how its still holding together. I think its a good choice, and you will like it ! Happy Boatn !!!!!!!!!!!

xlur8ed

Cadet

Thank you very much for the help guys! If I catch water in the oil, I will know where to start! Sounds like a risk of hydrolocking as well...?

Really appreciate the support and help guys! This site is fantastic!

thumpar

Admiral

Alot of times only the oil and water mix and doesn't leak water into the cylinders. When mine went I didn't notice for a few days and then noticed the oil pressure acting weird. Checked the oil and got milkshake. It still ran fine though.

I usually make a bay run for the 1st trip of each season before I take er out to the ocean. Just in case an issue occurs, I'm not too far from the ramp or out in big seas.

Your on a pond so is different, as you get to know the boat confidence will build with it.

Good Luck.

xlur8ed

Cadet

Thanks everyone! I know I simply just need to get her on the water and see what comes of it. I have always had this vision that boats are much like jet skis...play for one hour, then fix for two... I am starting to see and understand that isn't the case.

Can someone fill me in on where Glastron sits in the quality pecking order? I'm assuming a quality 'starter' boat?

Also, where can a guy get ahold of an owners manual. I have googled for an eternity it seems like, and come up with nothing. As this being my first boat, I want to know how to properly start/choke it, what/when to use the bilge, stupid stuff like that....That most of you grew up knowing, but is foreign to a new guy.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks everyone! I know I simply just need to get her on the water and see what comes of it. I have always had this vision that boats are much like jet skis...play for one hour, then fix for two... I am starting to see and understand that isn't the case.

Can someone fill me in on where Glastron sits in the quality pecking order? I'm assuming a quality 'starter' boat?

Also, where can a guy get ahold of an owners manual. I have googled for an eternity it seems like, and come up with nothing. As this being my first boat, I want to know how to properly start/choke it, what/when to use the bilge, stupid stuff like that....That most of you grew up knowing, but is foreign to a new guy.

Ayuh,... Most "Owners Manuals" ain't worth the paper they're printed on,...
However,..
The "Shop Manuals" can be found in the Adults Only section at the top of this forum...

xlur8ed

Cadet

Thank you kindly Bond-o...You are a great asset to this forum and community. I have ready MANY of your helpful posts and appreciate what you offer this board!