Rain water getting into hull normal?

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
My boat is parked on land on a slope, i didnt get a chance lift the bow higher then i needed to. It rain alot and the rain wasnt draining out the back of coarse, my cuddy cabin floor was wet on the floor.

Is it normal for the boat to have so much rain in the hull if its not properly bow is not properly lifted up?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Rain water getting into haul normal?

Of course it is. Better get the bow up so it'll drain so the weight of the water doesn't break your trailer tongue, springs, tires, whatever. Water is pretty darn heavy! Good Luck!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If your boat bow is lower than the plug, of course the rain water has nowhere to go. Your description is a normal result. Raises a few other questions as well. Why not just cover the boat?

southkogs

Staff member

I'm not sure on a cuddy (how the cabin is sealed as opposed to the rest of the boat - never owned one), but it's not uncommon for water to pool up in a boat if it's not resting with a bow-up attitude. You really can't trust level ground to be level and make the drain at the back of the boat the lowest point (thereby making it the natural escape for water). If there's not another way to park it, probably best to put something under the trailer jack (we used to use old stumps alot).

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the problem with using stumps is that it takes so long for them to grow in th eplace you plant them.

There' sno problem, with a quality boat, with water getting in the hull. The problem, for every boat, is that same water not getting out. Covers leak. Your priority is to find a way to park it so it drains--and that includes laterally.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You should drain the water as soon as possible. I you can't raise the trailer tongue because of the weight, turn your bilge pump on to reduce the weight then rasie the tongue. Let your boat dry out in the sun and cover it before the next rain.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

I mostly worried about how does that much rain get into the hull? I guess that shoulda been my question.
my fear is well if im on the water and it rains, wouldnt it flood my hull lets assume my bilge pump failed. wouldnt i be in some trouble?

But sounds normal so that makes me alot happier knowing that!! thanks everyone!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I mostly worried about how does that much rain get into the hull? I guess that shoulda been my question.
my fear is well if im on the water and it rains, wouldnt it flood my hull lets assume my bilge pump failed. wouldnt i be in some trouble?

COVER YOUR BOAT AND RAISE THE BOW.....it's pretty simple.....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you are not likely to encounter enough rain to swamp your boat. That happens to boats moored through several rainstorms with no or defective pumps (including drained batteries). There are, of course, risks associated with any equipment failure. part of assessing those risks include determining if redundancy is warranted. Because all boating situations are different, there is no one answer.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Y'all have gotten 6 1/2" of rain over the past 5 days down there, that is a lot of rain and water in your boat. This is monsoon season down there, cover your boat and be prepared next time.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

COVER YOUR BOAT AND RAISE THE BOW.....it's pretty simple.....

dude i already know to raise the bow look at the op "i didnt get a chance lift the bow higher then i needed to."

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

you are not likely to encounter enough rain to swamp your boat. That happens to boats moored through several rainstorms with no or defective pumps (including drained batteries). There are, of course, risks associated with any equipment failure. part of assessing those risks include determining if redundancy is warranted. Because all boating situations are different, there is no one answer.

roger that, i feel better now man.