84 evinrude 90 starter issue

Pen-nay

Recruit
I have an 1984 90hp which I bought recently. After using a couple of days, I was out in lake ontario anchored up and went to restart after fishing a couple of hrs. Didn't start, just click and hum. Changed batteries and same issue, then 2nd try it fired up and I headed for the dock. Parked it, restarted no problem and hauled it home.
When I tried to start at home, it wouldn't start. Pulled the cover off and noticed the starter was spinning fast but the pinion and shaft with the spring was not rising up to engage the flywheel.
Seems batts are fully charged.
Is this a bad starter? selenoid?
Things look pretty clean at the connections.
Please help.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 84 evinrude 90 starter issue

Probably a gummed up shaft that the bendix rides on; a very light squirt of PB Blaster or WD40 plus turning the bendix by hand a few times should loosening it right up. Good luck

Thatsmyboat

Cadet

I have an 84 30 horse motor that did the same thing. I went out and bought a new battery thinking that was the problem. However it was not so I just spent the money for a new starter. I have not hooked it up yet but everyone I spoke to said this is the problem. Not sure about cost for a 90 horse but mine cost me 65.00 plus shipping from ebay. Hope this help's.

Pen-nay

Recruit

Probably a gummed up shaft that the bendix rides on; a very light squirt of PB Blaster or WD40 plus turning the bendix by hand a few times should loosening it right up. Good luck
Thanks for the quick response! I'll try it when I get home. If not, i'll probably have to look for a new starter.

Pen-nay

Recruit

Thanks for the help, glad I didn't buy a new batt.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Glad it worked for you; I keep a small can of WD40 abd 3 in 1 machine oil on my boats, never know when it'll come in handy.

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick response! I'll try it when I get home. If not, i'll probably have to look for a new starter.

I'd remove and clean all connections coming and going from the starter before I bought a new one, I had the same issue about a month ago, haven't had a poblem since.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Connect a set of jumper cables from a fresh battery direct to the starter. If it spins the engine quickly as you do this test, the starter is probably ok. You may have dirty/burned contacts inside the starter solenoid. When these get solenoids get old, the internal contacts get burned and tend not to transfer adequate current to the starter. It appears to be a starter issue, but is not.

Pen-nay

Recruit

I removed all connections to starter and cleaned,lightly sanded and put a dab of p-jelly on them. Lubed up the shaft on the starter with a squirt of wd-40 and worked it up and down. Connected the batt cables back up and she fired right up. Wow! I think it costed me 15 cents for the wd-40.
Thanks everybody! Now i can go fishin!!

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to hear you got it going!