Sorry I have a boat.......

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Long story, read for your entertainment or out of boredom. I guess I'm really just venting.
Had a Carerra Caliente in the 1999,2000 time frame, always ran perfect, never a problem. The old saying a boat is a hole in the water you dump money into, just didn't fit my boaat. I put about 100 hours on it in 1999 alone. Had a handicapped daughter, sold the boat to stay with her. She passed away 2006.

Fast forward to last Saturday. Met a man 4 hours from here to trade him a laid out 2005 Harley Springer Classic in near mint condition, needed nothing. He traded me what was supposed to be a 2000 Stingray 220CX with only 72 hours on it ( I wonder now if that's a lie too ), but turned out to be a 1998. I went thru with the deal, my wife was so excited to be getting a cuddy cabin for overnighting on. He showed up, the boat looked like crap, oxidized completely, trailer wheels had grease all over them, skeg ( ? bottom of the outdrive ) had a metal cover on it to hide damage, the tires that he said were great were so dry rotted I couldn't believe he just drove 2 hours on them, but I had a near 4 hour trip home myself. He "forgot" some expensive trade items, just a complete let down to me. But, again, the wife was so happy I controlled my urge to turn and drive away and I went thru with the deal.
And so it began.....we got down the road and I stopped at the first Walmart to get 4 new tires. None. I stopped at another, none. Amazingly we made it home. Did some cleaning on it Sunday after church, then got up yesterday and drove it to the lake, holding my breath about the tires. made it to the lake, launched, got 1 minute out and the alarm went off. Temp was pegged at 240 degrees. Let it cool, coaxed it back to the dock, loaded and left. Drug it home, went and got 4 new tires and got them mounted and put on. Took the thing to the shop this morning, hoping it's JUST the impeller. If that's the only problem I'll be VERY happy. But I have my doubts. This trade has already bit me in the butt and I may have it up for sale or trade before I even put another minute on it. But it'll be fixed or the next owner will be told what it needs.
How a man can live with himself after this is beyond me. He has no honor and his word is garbage.
I need to take 50% of the blame for NOT demanding a sea trial. So, a word of wisdom to all you guys that read this and are wanting a boat. MAKE SURE YOU GO FOR A NICE 1 HOUR RIDE! BEFORE YOU BUY !
I'm so glad to be back into boating !

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Sorry I have a boat.......

DUDE!!! You should've sold your Harley and used the money to buy a boat.

There are so many lowlifes out there that will lie, cheat, and steal from you and not even bat an eye about it. Chalk this one up to one of lifes lessons.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is really an awful transaction:( I can understand your circumstances, especially if your bike was in mint condition. I'm constantly amazed at what people think is "new condition" or doesnt need work.

It's probably just an impeller. Sometimes they just kind of dry up from sitting. Which outdrive do you have? An alpha has the impeller in the lower unit and I've never done one of those before, a bravo3 has that's belt driven from the motor. Those are pretty easy to do yourself... Not much to them.

Good luck and give her a chance.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why couldn't you back out of it? Clearly the wasn't holding up his end of the deal. I mean once you parted ways he'd never see you again.
This is where Jigngrub's saying applies, , "the drinking will continue until morale improves!"
All the best to ya, I hope your problems are just superficial and not major. Keep us up to date.

haulnazz15

Captain

I would've had no problem getting on the bike and riding off if the boat looked like that from the outside. If he didn't take enough pride to maintain and repair the trailer/skeg/etc, then he sure didn't bother maintaining the rest of the boat. You should have never traded without an on-water test. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

So, a word of wisdom to all you guys that read this and are wanting a boat. MAKE SURE YOU GO FOR A NICE 1 HOUR RIDE! BEFORE YOU BUY !

Or..... Believe your own eyes over some skeeze-ball's sales pitch. Understand there is more than 1 boat for sale out there. Don't make trades, cash only (you can't bargain by giving less motorcycle). Most importantly have a little PATIENCE!!!! ;)

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat has the Bravo One outdrive and a 350 mag engine. I was told by a boat dealership across from the lake yesterday that the impeller was behind the water pump on the engine and was a huge pain to change. Had I known it was in the outdrive I would have done it myself. I will from now on, that's for sure. I've done alot of buying/selling/trading in the last 4 years and have never been burnt, ever.

This was an eye opener. If it turns out to just be the impeller it will certainly ease my irritation with the guy. The boat can be buffed and waxed to look beautiful, I've done a little already and the part of the interior my wife cleaned came out super nice ! So, if the shop calls in a little while and says, "Hey , it was the impeller and it's done, come and get it" I'll be 1 happy camper.

Here's the kicker.......the guy lives in MD and when we were trading he said he was going to put $1,000.00 as the purchase price of the Harley. Little does he know, some states send a letter to the seller, asking them what the selling price really was. I've got all our e-mails and sales ad's showing the value of our trades. Does he REALLY think I'm going to lie for him? hahahahahahahah

After I get the results fro the shop, I think I will tell him he owes me $300.00 for the tires and whatever the shop bill costs. Of course he'll say no way, and that will be that. But I'll give him a chance to man up, you never know.

haulnazz15

Captain

I'm not sure how the Bravo I water pump would be a "pain" to change, but whatever. The pump is belt driven and isn't "behind" anything. It's a much bigger pain to change an Alpha impeller inside the drive. I hope your problems are solved by it just being an impeller, but time will tell. The skeg on the outdrive can usually be replaced by a boat repair or prop shop for around $100 or so. Will look good as new.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't spend any more money on it until you figure out what's going on with the engine. That's like 75% of the value of the boat itself.

Unfortunately there are people that sell boats with cracked blocks. A law should really be written to undo a sale if a "good running" engine turns out to be junk.

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got the boat back, he installed a ....Water Pump Kit 46-13159.... charged me $95.99 for thee kit and $255.00 for labor. Seems high to me, but hey, I'm not a mechanic, if I was, I'd have put it on myself, right?
I will be looking for another boat mechanic for sure at this labor rate.
Back to the lake in the morning.
I let it run in the driveway and the temp gauge jumps fast from 120 to 160 and back and forth and back and forth....normal???

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yeah, the crook I got the boat from said he had it out last weekend and everything was fine. The mechanic that just fixed it said it's the worst impeller he has ever seen and he's been in the business forever. There is only 1/2 of 1 fin left, the rest are all gone. He said he got out as many pieces of the fins as he could. Where do these pieces go?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Likely into your engine/cooling system.

Did the mechanic mention removing any pieces? If not, you need to find them. The temperature spike could be a chunk of the impeller blocking something up.

NHGuy

Captain

Bummer about your deal.
As to the impeller bits, watch the temp gauge & if it goes hot shut er down again and get the boat out of the water. Then systematically backflush the hoses and coolers out. You take em off one at a time so you don't loose the routing, then use a water hose with city pressure and a ball valve or high pressure nozzle which you can open & close in bursts to blast out the hoses. You shoot the water backwards, it's a backflush. I just saw this method recommended on a performance boating DIY site. It makes sense to me to do that instead of paying a pro to do basic steps.
I hope you are a little comfortable with a few tools, it can save you some big $$. People on here will gladly walk you through the parts you can handle.
Sorry you got hosed on the bike, but we will do our best to help you get the boat going. And welcome to IBoats.

jmorgan87

Seaman

Sorry to hear about the luck man!

I've been guilty of similar purchases, the farther I drive the less likely I am to say no on a deal.. I know logically that's horrible, but in reality it's how I tend to act. I just tend to not venture far..

Any thing you look for used has these issues.. I don't know how many '67 cougars' i looked at, where the photo on the ad looked amazing...and they just happened to not mention the other side that's rusted out and 4 different colors, and missing chrome... sigh

Remove you thermostat, remove remaining pieces of impeller, install a new thermostat kit. Cheap and easy to do.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Bravo 1 Pump is on stbd side front of engine and is not very hard to change. Just need to be sort of a contortionist at heart. Just did mine. Bought 2 pumps on line, housings and impellers, for a hundred bucks (one is a spare). For the impeller pieces, the chunks usually get stuck in the power steering cooler, mounted on the lower port side of the engine. Undo the hose and dig out, flush out chunks, if there are any in there.

Side note: When I bought my boat (drove from NY to FL to get it. Tires were in so-so condition and dried out also and blew one within 40 miles of return trip. Spent 1/2 of 1st day of trip getting all new ones installed. It's the "buyer beware" scenerio. Boat was in outstanding condition, but needed lots of "little things fixed", but I accepted that, as I really wanted that boat.

Keep a good thought and maybe the engine on the 2005 Harley will blow the bottom end and turn into a fancy lawn ornament, the oil drain plug "falls out" while he's doing 60, the transmission burns up a bearing, or something very expensive goes bad. Karma is a bi***h.

PS: I'll never trade my "better than showroom" 2004 Wide Glide for anything.....