Ted Williams 7.5 project

HoneoyeLaker

Recruit
I have just recieved a Splendid Splinter marked 7.5 HP on the cowl, model # 217-59490, s.n. 3B 199471. I can see McCollugh on the recoil housing. I am about to dive in to this. WHat are my first steps, it is marked as air cooled so I dont need to put it in a tub of water to test? I have searched for a year of manufacture but only found a range 1968- 1986, Eska. Do I need the exact year for parts?

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Ted Williams 7.5 project

you have a 1973 AV-817 tecumseh powerhead based on the numbers you have provided, the first thing to do is a spark and compression test if you have the proper equipment, you should have at least 100 psi and a bright blue spark. if you don't have this equipment then simply remove the spark plug replace with an rj14yc gap .030, prime the cylinder with fresh 2-stroke mix 24-1 ratio, replace plug , give it a couple pulls, the unit should pop for you if you have spark and compression. after you have determined that you can then proceed to the next steps. usually a good cleaning of the carb and inspection for any bad parts, the parts are all obtainable for the carb at any small engine repair shop as these are all tecumseh parts in the carb, a standard rebuild kit will contain most parts for the carb, standard settings for both high and idle speed needles are one turn out from seated position, "seated position refers to screwing needle all the way in until tight do not overtighten as you will ruin the carb" the high speed needle on the bottom of the carb when rebuilding is good to back way out of the bowl retainer nut to not damage this upon installation. good luck and welcome to iboats. i hope this helps you get going.

HoneoyeLaker

Recruit

Fantastic! I just went and got a fuel tank, I dont have a compression tester but it sounds like it has good compression. I will get a new plug tonight and check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

happy to help, once you figure if it will pop then you'll know what direction to go. it may take a few tries to get it to pop but if after 3 or 4 attempts nothing happens try grounding the tip of the plug in the boot to the engine and pull the recoil to see if your getting spark. good luck you should only need a small amount of fuel to get it to pop i use an eyedropper to get it in the cylinder

M

mrcrabs

simply remove the spark plug replace with an rj14yc gap .030

ah that be .35 for the AV 817 sparky plug