1970 Super Scamper 11' sailboat - worth repairing?

trexbob

Cadet
Hi, I'm a relatively newb to boating and sailing, but I acquired a 1970-ish Super Scamper by Formex corp, it is a foam cored, plastic covered thing. We bought it locally on craigslist and didn't pay much so no flames please. After thinking about trying to fix things first, then deciding just to see how it works, we put it in the water on Sunday and had a nice few hours sailing around on a pretty lazy, low wind day. Then at one point I caught a good breeze I wasn't prepared for and it went over. After getting it right side up again, I noticed a small hole in the sail, and started going back towards the shore. By the time I was within a few hundred feet of shore, it ended up tearing the length of the sail, and I was forced to paddle it back using the daggerboard as a paddle. So it looks like a new sail is in order at the very least, but I wanted to put it to the experts here as to how much I should or shouldn't put into it. There does appear to be at least one wooden plank along the top that is more than likely rotted away, and the plastic has some cracks in it in a few places. I would like to repair the rotten wood at the very least, because it helps supports the mast.

This is what it looks like:
CIMG2571.jpg

CIMG2558.jpg

This is a picture around where the mast enters, with the wooden over-piece removed (not sure what that is called):
CIMG2554.jpg

Here is a pic of the rear of the boat, showing the plastic coming off:
CIMG2559.jpg

Also, if I do decide to keep it, I don't know a whole lot about sails... I imagine the 1970 sail should be replaced and not repaired, as it was not in the best shape before it tore in half. I know they make sails for Sunfish that might work, but they might not. If I have a custom sail made, what is the difference between materials, and what's the best option for someone on a budget?

trexbob

Cadet
Re: 1970 Super Scamper 11' sailboat - worth repairing?

Maybe I'll post this in the sailing forum?

Took the plastic top piece off, to at the very minimum replace the rotting wood that supports the mast. Foam is soaked. Will try to dry out as best I can before I put the top piece back on...

trexbob

Cadet

Bumping an old thread, for an old boat. After dragging this all across half the country (now living in Atlanta GA), I am still kicking around the idea of making this more useable. I've been entertaining thoughts of stripping off the original plastic, because it's just cracking and falling apart everywhere, and fiberglassing over the foam. This would essentially make it so the foam wouldn't get soaked every time the boat goes in the water... Does anyone think this might work, or should I keep with the original design, but maybe instead try fiberglassing over the plastic?

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Those boats are VERY difficult to repair.

Nothing really wants to stick to that plastic, the only real way to repair it is to 'weld' it by melting new plastic in. Epoxy peels right off, as does poly. Sometimes, the poly even eats the plastic...

AS for removing and glassing the foam, it would probably cost more and take more time than it's really worth. You'd almost certainly have to use Epoxy, as the styrene in Poly resin would dissolve the foam. Between the cost of the glass, and the resin, you'd be putting WAY more into that boat than it's worth- It's not the best boat to begin with, and it's in BAD shape.

Honestly, you' probably be better off keeping an eye on Craigslist... There were 2 different sailboats listed here on CL within the past month that, while not perfect, would have been a far better starting point that that one- And would likely cost less. Small boats like that come up quite often!

-Andrew

trexbob

Cadet

I'd like to get a "better" one, but this is the one I've got, and I doubt I'll get approval from the wife anytime soon to get a nicer one. I fixed the mast support and sail already. It's just the ugly plastic that's an issue. I'd like to make it at least look like it's not been sitting in someone's shed for the last 30 years. Anyways, if I do decide to try to glass over the original foam, I've read somewhere that even regular epoxy would eat away at foam, and I'd have to use something like WEST's G-Flex Epoxy instead. Is this true? If so, that adds to the price of repairs...

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

MOST epoxies are OK over MOST foams, but the only way to tell is to try it.

There's not much you can do to fix the plastic- That's just the nature of the beast. I have dealt with similar boats in the past, a camp I worked at as a sailing instructor had a whole 'fleet' of snarks, which are similar in construction. The plastic just can't be fixed easily once it cracks. If you DID epoxy and glass it all, it will likely cost more than replacing the boat would, and you still will have a disposable boat, but hey it's your money, do what you feel is best.

angel513

Recruit

I am shocked to pictures of my boat.. In response to your question it is worth it if you love your boat! I have filled the guts of the boat with expanding foam (about 6 years ago, so I don't remember what kind) to stabilize the mast, the styrene had gotten too broken up. I took the entire black edging off half the boat to get the broken bits off and reboat1.jpgatatched it and cauked the whole thing with some seriously heavy duty caulk..( for the second time). This will have to be done every few years...The entire rudder was recrafted by a family friend about 15 years ago. My biggest mistake has been storage.. It doesnt' like being stored on it's side and stored it outdoors this past year and now have major hull damage. I found a site called Urathane Supply that has plastic welding kits for canoes and kayaks. So far this is fixing all the hull cracks..very time consuming. I think you could fit most any sunfish sail to the boat.. I wish you luck and hopefully ..good sailing!

stassel@sbcglobal.net
Maybe I'll post this in the sailing forum?

Took the plastic top piece off, to at the very minimum replace the rotting wood that supports the mast. Foam is soaked. Will try to dry out as best I can before I put the top piece back on...

My neighbor has a scamper with rudder...no sails or dagger board. if you're interested let me know.

trexbob

Cadet

Well I did fix the sails and caulked some of the broken plastic, and repaired the mast support but I don't think I'm going to keep the boat. Atlanta has no wind most of the year it seems! Not a good place for a sailboat anyways. Will probably craigslist the scamper soon...