Starter problems?

doberman-guy

Seaman Apprentice
:confused: I have a 350 omc, just recieved the boat on trade. I went to try and start it and i can hear the starter engage and the engine will turn about 1/16 of an inch but thats it. I can only bump start the engine, if i run the starter for more than 3 seconds my battery posts starts to melt. Im not sure if the starter is bad or the engine is locked up. If the engine is froze would the starter not being able to turn the engine cause thes heat to the battery? I will thank you in advance for any advice.

Aquasportdad

Cadet
Re: Starter problems?

I don't propose to have the correct answer for you but I will add a bit about my own experience with this.

Possible Causes:

1. It could be that the starter motor is rusted inside where it coils and the battery is just powerful enough to slightly bump it. It may go only far enough, then freeze, causing resistance which will definitely heat up the battery.

2. The engine may be hydrolocked letting the starter advance only slightly. Continued engagement with the key will also cause resistance, again heating up the battery.

Possible Fix:

1. Take out the spark plugs. Check for water on the ends of the any of the plugs or any water seeping from the cylinders. With the plugs out, take a large socket and ratchet (3/4 or 1" I believe), put it on the large nut of the front pulley (or harmonic balancer) which is attached to the crankshaft end and turn the engine by hand slowly. It should turn with a little effort. This will determine if the engine is frozen. Also if there is any water in any of the pistons it will definitely come out.

2. You may need a new starter regardless. If you are hydrolocked. Deal with that immediately. Check your risers, the gaskets, the exhaust manifold etc. If you somehow get the engine to move with water in the pistons it may bend a connecting rod or two and then you'll be looking at a lot more than a new starter, riser or exhaust manifold. Been there, done that with my Crusader 350. It's expensive, time consuming and frustrating.

Hope this all helps. I'm not a mechanic, I just play one at the marina. Good luck.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Starter problems?

sounds like the engine or outdrive is seized.
remove the outdrive and see if that frees the engine....
if not, the engine is seized.