70' 70hp chrysler overheating question

greengo

Cadet
My engines overheat light came on on the second time out and the boat is steaming a bit i shut it down so i did not kill it.Now i replaced the impeller and it does have a good amount of water pumping out of it the whole time. So im guessing its a head gasket or a thermostat are the T-stats known to stick on these engines?

greengo

Cadet
Re: 70' 70hp chrysler overheating question

I put a new t-stat in and the boat runs cool and does not overheat but it does steam if i idle down im concerned if this is normal for this motor or is one of my impeller fins in wrong or something? Thanks for any advice:confused:

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

If water is flowing out in good supply then I would believe your water pump and
Stat are working great. While the motor is running you should be able to touch the
Motor around the sparkplug area and sides with little to no discomfort. Try and pull the spark plugs and see if any are crispy clean like new cause water in the cylinders
will steam clean them. Also a little steam out the pee hole isn't a problem may
Even be do to the atmospheric conditions. Good luck.

fucawi

Banned

If the water flow from the pee hole stops and turn to steam when you idle you have a problem ..it should always be warm like bath water ....turning to steam can be caused I have found by an exhaust leak into the water ways ..this restricts water flow at idle...backpressure from exhaust gas is too much... I have found the exhaust side plate to be a source of leaks ..corrosion sometimes of the stainless plate or aluminium chanels ...

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

I agree. Could be another place to look into. Good luck.