Volvo Penta aq 151c wont start

Boater_Brent

Recruit
I purchased a Regal Valanti last fall that had not been ran in 5 or 6 years. After putting a new interior in it I finaly got to the motor. I did some work to the motor since it hadnt ran in so long and started it. When I took it out for the first time it ran rough as can be expected. It would not go above 3500 rpm and was just jumpy. I took this to be some bad gas and maybe some moisture in the fuel. I cleaned the lead and lag carb and put in some fuel treatment and tried again. While the boat didnt die this time it still didnt get above 3500 rpm and was still jumpy, again I am believe this to bad gas. While I was putting it on the trailer it died and I just jumped out and cranked it on. In my hast I left the key on and drained the battery. The next day I charged the battery but now I cant get the thing started. I cleaned and gapped the points thinking I might have burnt them, checked the plugs and tried again. The boat is just cranking. I tried a little starting fluid but no luck leading me to believe that it is something with the spark. I know everyone says to swich to an electronic ignition but I just cant bring myself to spend the money until i know what I have (plus we have an expanding family so I need to be saving some money). I have to think that leaving the key on did something but I cant figure out what. Hopefully this will be an easy fix. Please help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta aq 151c wont start

Rebuild the carb, install a water seperating fuel filter kit, empty and clean the fuel tank, give the engine a full tuneup, points, condenser, cap, and rotor. Set the dwell then the timing. Install a new raw water pump impeller.
On the outdrive, replace the ujoint bellows and hopefully you don't have water in there already.
You need to learn to run the engine on muffs or in a tub of water on land before you take it to the water. Then you know things will work and you won't get stuck out on the water and need towed in.

Here is a link to some other information you are going to need, including a service manual.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

Boater_Brent

Recruit

Thanks, Don. I guess I should have been more clear as to what I have done. I put in a new raw water impeller, changed all fluids, new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. When the motor was running it ran fine on the muffs, a little ruff but as to be expected, it wasnt until it was in the water under load it gave me any issues. I plan to clean the fuel tank this weekend and put new fuel hoses on it. I just wasnt sure if there was something that would cause it not to get any spark now since I left the key on. I am familer with mercs and newer omc's I just wasnt sure about the older swedish built volvo's. As for the bellows I have found no indication of leaking but I was planning on changing those over the winter. I understand that it is a real pain to pull the volvo outdrive. I was lucky on the water pump as it is on the front of the motor on these. Thanks again for the help. I plan on being in the garage tonight after the kids in bed working some more.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The points is what makes your spark. Looking at them tells you nothing. After setting, they are probably glazed over and not making good contact when they close. I am talking electrical contact, not just physical contact.
Put in a new set and set the gap to get it running, then you can set dwell to fine tune the adjustment.

I understand that it is a real pain to pull the volvo outdrive.
You DO NOT have to pull the whole outdrive, just the upper gear box. You haven't looked at that link I posted have you. I can change the bellows and gear lube in about 30 to 45 minutes.

Boater_Brent

Recruit

I just looked at that. Thanks for the info. I will change both out this week. I cleaned the points but for $6 i will just change points again. This boat will not beat me.