Steering Problem 79 115 Johnson V178 Ranger

Alpinegold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm having a steering problem on my 1978 V178 Ranger with 79 115 Johnson. I have lubed the grease inserts. When I raise the engine, the arm on the right side is getting in a bind and is slipping up and down from the nut that holds it to the engine, The nut seems to be a backwards configuration in that turning to the left tightens. I have turned it where it seems tight with out over tight.

When the motor is down the wheel turns the motor with ease. When it is up, the motor will hardly turn. This old boat and motor is in excellent condition and I don't want to mess anything up. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Alipnegold

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering Problem 79 115 Johnson V178 Ranger

Dumb question of the day. Why would you want to turn the mtr when it's up if it works okay when it's down??

Alpinegold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Steering Problem 79 115 Johnson V178 Ranger

It is suppose to turn freely up or down and something is messed up with the arm as it is getting in a bind every time I lift the motor. I myself would not want the steering arm to break running at 40 mph. I just wanted to get a few tips but I guess I will take it to the shop.
Thanks,
Alpinegold