vapor lock question

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 470 is hard starting hot with the engine cover installed. If you run the boat with the cover removed I don't have much trouble with hot starting. The engine has a closed cooling system which looks like it runs coolant through the intake to cool it I am guessing. Does this sound like a vapor lock issue? My boat has a closed bow which is where the fuel tank is located. The fuel pump is engine mounted and has to suck fuel from 20 feet away. I was thinking about installing an electric fuel pump close to the tank in the front to push fuel rather than pulling fuel.

Thanks

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: vapor lock question

Yes the issue may be vapor lock...every thing I have seen about this issue the popular opinion seem to b that the fuel line from the pump to the crab is to close to the block, so once the engine stops running it heats up because there is no coolant flowing so it in return heats that fuel line causing the fuel to vapor in the line. Once that happens the pump can't not over come the pressure of the vapor in the line, until it cools it down and the vapor dissipates.

I have read of people solving the issue by replacing the fuel pump with and electric one so that it can over come the pressure..big $$ I believe it about a $200 fix. I have also read of people fixing it by rapping the line in thermal tape to keep it cool..little $. Lastly I have read of people just routing the line to the carb away from the block...i did the last option and never had an issue after.

Just my thoughts, I would suggest you start with the cheap options first...can't hurt and if they don't work you didn't waste big $