1957 10hp seahorse

hockeyfann

Cadet
Would repainting the body devalue the motor would it increase and is this motor a collectors item. witch way should the impeller blades face right or left.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1957 10hp seahorse

it all depends on how much time you spend prepping the motor for paint, and if you buy the correct colors for it, and spend the money on the proper decals. thats just the "cosmetic" side of a restoration. do you plan to refurbish the carb etc etc. generally, from what ive seen and read, the motor is somewhat of a collectors item......but only to someone who appreciates the oldies. if you take the time to do it right it should add some value......but unless you're doing it for fun, it can be very time consuming.(i just spent about 10hrs prepping a cowl for a cd-13....that has a bad powerhead, and may never run again!...and that was just getting it ready for paint.) the impeller blades should be in a "trailing" position when you turn your flywheel. (but im told the blades will flip to the right way even if you install them wrong)

kfa4303

Banned

I think it all depends on the paint job itself too. A great paint job should help and not hurt the value, but a not so great job may, in fact devalue it. Paintings all about the proper prep per nwcove's post so go slow and pay attention to detail and she should look great.

kfa4303

Banned

...oh one more thing, the drive shaft should only ever spin clockwise so the fins on the impeller fins will curl to the right (like a bunch of "C"'s going around the central hub) when you loot at it in the water pump housing. A bit of vaseline can help the impeller slip into place in the housing too.

bpoulin

Cadet

Also I think it depends on the condition before paint, My 56 has about 4 coats of rattle can paint on it. Even a bad paint job would be an improvement lol.

nwcove

Admiral

i agree bpoulin, but some elbow grease, lotsa sandable primer over the etching primer, and some glazing putty.....you can make them oldies look better than new!!!