cut out switch assy what is it for??

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i got 1966 evinrude 33hp ski-twin just would like to know what is the cut-out switch assy for? what does it do and if it were bad what would my engine do differently?

lindy46

Captain
Re: cut out switch assy what is it for??

Cut-out switch grounds out a coil during a runaway situation so the bottom cylinder does not fire. It is activated by a vacuum line connected to the engine. When the vacuum gets too high, the switch activates, killing spark to the cylinder. If the switch is bad (is closed when there is no vacuum) then the motor will only run on one cylinder. Test the switch by disconnecting the wires and the vacuum hose. Put an ohmmeter on the center post and side post, and you should get infinite resistance. Apply vacuum to the hose and resistance should fall to 0 ohms.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

o thanks lindy46 my engine is only running on one cylinder but it the top cylinder that not working properly but when i rev engine up cylinder works

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Are saying that the spark comes back when you rev it up? you may need to go through your ignition system and make sure your points are clean and adjusted properly. Also check your coils for any cracking.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

checked my ignition points are good coils good both cylinders have great spark it would only work on one cylinder when i bought it but there was a rod that goes from carb to advance for stator i hooked it back up but im not sure how to adjust it properly?

lindy46

Captain

The carb linkage would not affect spark. Something is wrong with either the coils, points, condensers, wires or plugs. Or you have a kill switch wire grounding out somewhere.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lindy your not understanding my answer it has perfect spark on both cylinders good compression but for some reason the top cylinder doesnt want to work at low rpm my fuel pump runs off my top cylinder could fuel pump be bad and causing top cylinder to shut off at low rpm if so how could i check fuel pump??

lindy46

Captain

How do you know the top cylinder is not "working"? What is the compression reading on the top cylinder?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To check the fuel pump, remove it and put some nuts on the back side of the screws that hold it on. Then pump your primer bulb and see if fuel leaks out where it picks up the pulse from the cylinder. If it leaks, that's your prob.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks boobie easy enough will try that

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lindy i know the top cylinder is not working because wen i pull the top cylinder plug wire off while the engine is running it does effect engine at all and both cylinders have 100psi compression