Single axle upgrades

97fourwinns

Cadet
We were coming coming back from Powell and one of the breaks was holding and broke the hub. So everything is destroyed on the drivers side of the boat trailer. The boat is a 97 Fourwinns Horrizon rx 190. I am wanting to know the trailer has the 3 bend torrison axle under it, has anyone replaced it with a stright axle? What are some oppitions that you guys have done or thought about? Also what about going to springs or a 5000# axle? Thanks

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Single axle upgrades

I assume a "3 bend torrison" axle is a like a "Tor-flex" axle with a bend in the middle to give it camber. I do know that some tor-flex axle used on boat trailer have replacable spindles, yours may or may not. As far as upgrading, you can never have to much axle, but too much springs will make the ride harsh. I would never use anything that is uncommon, since getting replacement parts could be a hassle.

97fourwinns

Cadet

Yes that is correct. How do you know if you can replace the spindles? Also does anyone know what it would take to make a two axle trailer fit the boat?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

A friend of mine just replaced the spindle on his "non replacable spindle" torsion axle.

The bearing went out and the wheel fell of on the freeway, it ground the bottom side of the spindle flat. The old one was welded in place, he just ground the welds off and matched the old sindle up with a new one and had it welded in place. I think it was in the $30 to $40 range for the new spindle.

97fourwinns

Cadet

I dont think it is a replacable spindle but I will double check. Where is a good place to get an axle? And has anyone ever replaced the axle with a stright or with springs?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Typically a torsion axle allows the trailer frame to sit lower, so while you could put a straight axle under it, the trailer may sit much higher.

You can't always find an exact fit off the shelf, many places will make one to your dimensions though. Just google torsion axle and several sites will pop up. If I remember correctly, the prices ranged from $400.00 to $800.00.

97fourwinns

Cadet

I took a look at the back side of the spindal and it looks like it is welded around it. So I could cut the weld off like you were talking about. I call the trailer dealer around here and they dont have the ones for torison axles. So if I cut it off can I just find one that will work?

97fourwinns

Cadet

Ok it looks like I am just going to replace it with a new axle. Does anyone know if I can fit a stright torison axle? The trailer has the factory bend torison right know.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok it looks like I am just going to replace it with a new axle. Does anyone know if I can fit a stright torison axle? The trailer has the factory bend torison right know.

I guess you need to see whether the straight axle will interfere with the boat, that is why most boat trailers use the dropped center torsion axles. If you don't need the clearance for the keel of your boat, then the straight one would be ok.