'64 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman running slow when in gear

Storypod

Recruit
Hey all,
My first post in this great forum, but believe me, I've been reading for years and gotten a ton of help. I inherited the old Evinrude 5.5 hp that my dad bought new in 1964, along with the Sears 12' aluminum boat we used to tool around in as kids. It's been running great for me for a decade or so, since i replaced the impellor, rebuilt the carb and replaced plugs over the years. This summer though, after running as usual for about a half hour, it began to slow down, running at lower rpms when in gear. It doesn't run rough, doesn't seem to be a fuel issue (I tried replacing the fuel pump, but that didn't help), and still revs up nice in neutral, and even in reverse - probably because reverse is geared down, and not putting as much load on the engine as in fwd. I ran the motor for a week of fishing in Michigan, and it did just fine (first-pull starting as usual), and didn't get any worse, but I'd love to get this running good again. I miss planing around the lake at full speed, haha. Any suggestions about where to start looking would be great. Thanks in advance...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: '64 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman running slow when in gear

Pull one plug wire at a time and see if it still runs.If the coils haven't been replaced it's very likely one or both are failing.

lindy46

Captain

Agree. Probably running on one cylinder due to a failing coil.

Storypod

Recruit

Thanks much. Is there anything else I should replace once I'm in there? I haven't worked on the ignition (aside from spark plugs) since i got this - I'm sure it's all original...

Storypod

Recruit

I better replace the points and condensers too...

Wrongsyde

Petty Officer 3rd Class

At least check your points. If they're old, they may have a good bit of pitting, and should be fairly cheap to replace both of them and the lube wick. Take a close look at the wiring in there, checking for bad cracks, debris, etc that could cause you problems later. good luck!

Wrongsyde

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If i recall, condensers don't seem to go bad as often, and can be fairly expensive. Your call until one of the people with more experience corrects me. =)

nwcove

Admiral

id go with new wires also, metalic core only 7 mm (i think). its cheap to get by the foot. (remember to screw it into the coils......not push it in)

lindy46

Captain

If you're pulling the flywheel to replace coils, it's cheap insurance to replace the points, condensers, and wires at the same time. I think the tune-up kit is only around $25. Then you won't have to redo it again for a long time.

Storypod

Recruit

Thanks everyone, I got parts ordered, and the flywheel pulled. Really appreciate the advice...