short shaft on kicker bracket

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can I run my short shaft kicker on a long shaft transom with a kicker bracket?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: short shaft on kicker bracket

Yes, but with no other information its difficult to say how well it will work.

While you may be able to get the motor (prop) low enough, the problem can be with waves covering the motor if it becomes rough.

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 16 foot aluminum princecraft and the motor is a 4 stroke merc short shaft

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I once installed a kicker mounted on a bracket in the back of a 20 footer long shaft transom. First made sure the kicker was low enough for proper operation under water and under transom when the bracket was in the running position. Water could not reach the kicker in the up position and I never used it on rough waters so I could not tell if waves could cover the motor in that situation (as per ondervr suggestion) nevertheless I would not have hesitated to use it if the main motor (115hp) would have been inoperational. (but it never happened thank God ... LOL)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Mount the bracket so that when its in the down position the the top of the motor mounting board is 15" above the bottom of the boat. When I say "bottom" I mean at the position where the bracket is mounted. If you had a long shaft it would be mounted 20" above the bottom.

Depending on the height of your transom, mounting a short shaft may be easier than a long. In my case, I couln't mount the bracket high enough to fit a long shaft.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Exactly as JimS123 wrote ... that's the idea. (better said than my previous post)

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys,
I actually bought the motor as a long shaft, guy told me a short shaft was 15" and this one is 17 or 18, anyways my fault and I can't afford another so I'm glad I can use this one. And after a few motor issues on the ocean I need a backup for peace of mind.