1986 200 HP EVEINRUDE LOW RPM HESITATION

MR GIBBS

Seaman Apprentice
HELP HAVE A 1986 200HP EVEINRUDE THAT WAS IN STORAGE 3 OR 4 YEARS WITH A 91 POWERHEAD . HEARS THE PROUBLEM IT SEAMS TO RUN FINE AT 900 RPM BUT WHEN YO START TO PUSH IT UP SLOWLYI ABOUT 1500 RPM TO 2500 RPM IT SLOWES DOWN AND THEN RACES UP ABOUT 200RPM UTILL YOU PLAIN OUT THE BOAT AT WOT IT RUNS GREAT BEFORE THE OUTBOARD WOULD START WHEN I FIRST LOOKED AT IT I HAD TO DRAIN ALL THE CARBS ,THEY WERE FILED WITH FOGGING OIL THAT WAS IN THE CARBS I JUST PUT IN THE WATER AND AND HAVE NOT RUN IT LONG COULD IT BE A FOWLED PLUG FUEL FILTERS PRIMER BULB THIS WEEKEND I WILL CHECK IT OUT ANEY OTHER IDEAS WILL BE GREATLY APRICATED THANKS

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 200 HP EVEINRUDE LOW RPM HESITATION

Inspect the plugs and change if real dark and oily. Check for a good spark on all cylinders. how old is gas? Try fresh. Old fuel filter? And most important even compression on all cylinders?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Do the compression test, spark test, fuel pressure test, check fuel lines from tank to pump, including anti-siphon valve, and clean carbs. Dont forget to check magnets in flywheel. If you still have problms do running test on ignition system. Still have problems chech part numbers on carbs, some of the carbs were replaced with 1987 carbs to solve idle and rough running,

MR GIBBS

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for your help so far i have changed the plugs 1 bad spark plug wire, inline gas filter and water fule seperater/ the moter runs better and dose not surg up or down but it seems to smoke a lot at idle and runs rough . now it spits and sputters when i come down off plane like it wants to stall out ,could a bad ground be the proublem.? some times the tac cut out . all the plugs are fireing and head temps are equal and not overheating /could 4 year old be that bad ,it has a 85 gal tank that i added 30 gal of freash gas to. should i just run it and burn the gas in the tank? or pay 80$ an hour for some one to come down and have the boat laid up for a few weeks . i just changed the tilt tube an did the waterpump, just love boats . any help would be appreciated thanks

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like you've solved some problems. How much gas was still in the tank? You can try some fuel restorer to wake it up some. What plugs are you running?

MR GIBBS

Seaman Apprentice

will run the boat a little today .the new plugs a champion QL77jc4 the old plugs were nkgBR9HS IS THE HEAT RANGE MUCH OF A DIFFREANCE? BE A BETTER CHOICE I HAVE A FEELING THAT THE NKG MIGHT HAVE BEEN OK SINCE IT HAD A BAD WIRE ANY THOUGHTS? TYHEREB IS ABOUT 60 GAL OF GAS IN TANK , WOULD IT PAY TO HAVE THE TANK PUMPED OUT? THANKS

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

The champions are good. 30 gallons of 4 year old fuel is bad. Draining the tank would be a good step, but an expensive job to have done. I would get a 55 gal drum and pump into it myself. You should be able to use the fuel for your lawn mower unless it is mixed with 2-cycle. Share with some friends to get rid of it.

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bad electrical connections can cause some problems too. I would check the main ground wire from the battery and all the connections at the motor terminal block (the place where the stator wires connect to the harness by screws). Remove and lightly sand the connections.

MR GIBBS

Seaman Apprentice

want to thank you guy for helping me with my moter, after, all the new plugs ,filter wires etc ,i by pased the main fule tank, with a 6 gal tank of new gas and IT RAN MUCH BETTER. I RAN THROUGH THE 6 GAL CAN OF GAS IN NO TIME ,AND IT RAN BETTER THE LONGER I RAN IT ,85 GAL OF OLD GAS MUST NOT HAVE THE OCTAINE THAT AN OUTBOARD NEEDS TO RUN , SO NOW I KNOW THAT OLD GAS IS OLD GAS AND DOES MAKE A DIFFREANCE. ,THE TANK WILL BE PUMPED OUT THIS WEEK ,AT A COAST OF 175$ CHEEPER THE A HOLE IN THE PISTON DUE TO DENATION. ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO YOU GUYS WHO HELPED .TOMARROW THE TEE TOP GOES ON .