3.8 omc

Hello i have a 1981 Mercedes boat just got it running sounds good but when i go to rev it up it will not rev up i take that back it only rev's a little bit then it sounds like its clogged or something. It has a 3.8 OMC motor ive checked the points and timed it plugs are good carb is a 1405 edelbrock 4-V my bud i bought it from says it mite be the dizzy itself but some say it mite be the fuel pump any ideas? thanks for any advise

PS.. if any one has or heard of a mercedes boat plz post a pic mine needs seats and carpet oh hell it needs alot of stuff but this is my first boat..

Re: 3.8 omc

ok i was miss informed on my boat it is a 1984 mercedes made by freedom marine up in WA now i found a new prob when i was doing the tests like howard told me to i pulled off the coil wire from the coil and cranked it now if memory serves me right on the coil there is a plus side and neg side when cranking are they suppose to arc like in see the electricity shoot between them???? would this also cause my motor not to rev pass 1500 hundred?? i still have to run more tests about the engine not going passed 1500 RPM's but i want to eliminate all possible probs

Thanks to any one than can help me Wish this boat had the same motor like my 1970 mercury cougar Eliminator then it would be easy.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you should not see any arcing anywhere - that is a problem. Is it the only problem? who knows.

the ignition system is really identical in principle to a 1970 Mercury car... points, coil.... all serviced the same

sounds like you need to do a tune-up and repair and replace wiring as you go.

ok ive done my checklist that howard told me to do and now when i have the timing lite on and go to rev it the timing light cuts out only when reving it do they normally do this? oh i changed the coil also