1994 70hp Force outboard no fire on spark plugs

Pat70

Recruit
Hi to all,

Went out this week, engine started great (cold), when I stopped for 5 min , after a 15 min ride and tried to start the engine again , no fire on any plugs.

Tried the kill switch...nothing

Any clues?

fexl1000

Recruit
Re: 1994 70hp Force outboard no fire on spark plugs

Hi Pat,
Can you try to disconnect the kill wire from the engine ignition ? If it starts, you will need to choke it off, or run it out of fuel (or touch the kill wire back to the terminal).

this may be of help: http://www.outboardignition.com/page10.asp

Pat70

Recruit

Thanks for the reply...

Tried everything with the kill switch, went to the shop and have them take a look at it, turn out to be the stator and the switch box... ouch. I'm not surprised about the stator since they are suposed to be good for 5 to 10 years,I'm surprised it took that long for it to go dead (had the boat for 5 years and go out about 20 times a year for a couple of hours), but the switch box...hummmm.

Well I guess with an engine this old it's only normal to put some money in it, it went very well before this little mishap, more quiet than most any 4 strokes i've seen in the past few years and very little smoke.

Re-did the cylinders 5 years ago, still have 120 compression on each of them, new stator and switch box this year, 3000$ later, I have an almost brand new engine for a quarter of the cost, I Think that I shouldn't complain LOL.

Pain in the A** to find parts though (I'm from Canada)

Edward55

Cadet

I have exactly the same issue with same motor only 1993. Replaced CDI, switch and control wiring, checked kill circuit, woodruff key OK, stator and trigger physically looks good and magnets still in place. What next?

Edward55

Cadet

Thanks. My stator has 6 wires: red, blue, red w/white stripe (grounded), blue w/white stripe (grounded), and 2 yellow wires. Blue to ground reads Zero, Red to ground reads 550. All measurements with wires disconnected from CDI. Am I going about this right?

Last edited:

fexl1000

Recruit

Sounds like it. Recheck the accuracy/scale of your meter and recheck. According to the reference chart
you should read 2-3K ohms on blue and 70-100 ohms on red. Your readings indicate a short on blue, and
high resistance on red. If your readings are accurate, looks like you have found a bad stator.
Is it original or replacement ? Some replacements have different readings (not zero though)

Edward55

Cadet

Thanks again! Stator I believe is original. Trigger resistance checks good. Should I disconnect the rectifier and try to start or just replace the stator?

Pat70

Recruit

Finally got the boat back yesterday, they changed the stator and switch box.

Stator was the original one.

The engine started at a 1/4 turn and ran perfectly... believe me, I was anxious to start it back after a 10 min run LOL!

Btw, it's a 1993 not a 1994, found that out at the shop :facepalm:

Thanks for your help