1997 merc 200 efi compression check damaged ignition?

laguna21dc

Cadet
I have a 1997 merc 200 efi that won't throttle up after I performed a compression check.I removed all the spark plugs and wires and used the kill switch in the off position to prevent spark and did not ground any of the spark plug wires.Could that have damaged the ignition syestem?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1997 merc 200 efi compression check damaged ignition?

???????????

THREE seperate threads, all about the SAME PROBLEM!!!!

READ the response to your first thread, follow the directions, repost your PROGRESS.

And double check that you have all the plug wires one correctly.

laguna21dc

Cadet
Re: 1997 merc 200 efi compression check damaged ignition?

Sorry but I am trying to figure out what may have led to the problem and I am not familiar with how to use this site yet.I don't have the timing light or correct meter yet and am trying to get as close as possible to what direction to go,fuel spark ,timing ect.It happened without warning as soon as I started it after I changed the plugs and checked the compression that I can't help but wonder if something I did caused the failure.I had the kill switch off when checking the compression but didn't know about grounding thespark plug wires?..If I had some insight as to what happened,I could develop a trouble shooting plan.....Help?