Lower unit issue. Any Ideas?

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer
I was having some issues with the lower unit on my mercruiser when I was winterizing. Didn' have the problem before. I took the battery out then realized I needed to raise the lower unit before I parked it for the winter. When I hooked it back up the lower unit would not raise up. I messed around with it a little and it finally went up. I pulled the battery when I parked it and realized I didn't lower it for the winter so had to hook the batter back up. :rolleyes: I then lowered it again and tried to raise it but it wouldn't come back up. I really didn't do anything but look at all the cables. After awhile it came back up. Not looking forward to this problem in the spring. Any Ideas of what it might be. Battery is only 1 month old.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower unit issue. Any Ideas?

Moisture in the trim switch froze? Were you hearing any clicking?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you didn't hook the battery terminals up tight, it may have been just the poor connection. Going up takes more amperage than going down.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Didn't hear any clicking and it was still in the 70-80's. Had to call it an early year last year.<br /><br />I could have sworn that I hooked them up pretty good but that sounds like it might be the issue considering how many times I hooked it up and pulled it out. :D :rolleyes: :p :D

JasonB

Lieutenant

Mine is doing the same thing, but works fine if I jump the posts on the solenoid, so I'll be ordering up a solenoid next week. You may want to check that.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Is it possible that you have a slight leak in a cylinder, draining oil from the cylinder. After trying several times you pump enough oil into the cylinder to get it to move. Then while sitting it drains again?<br />Possibly moisture on a contact causing a little corrosion. When you try it several times it finally makes contact enough to work Like a starter selenoid on a car they sometimes go slowly clicking several times before finally engaging then after time they go for good.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

I will have to check what you guys suggest. Replaceing the solenoid looks like a cheap and quick fix. I think I will do that no matter what. Bought the boat used last year so replacing things on it is fine with me. That way I know what is new and what is not. Thanks for your help. If anyone has any other ideas i would apprecitate it. Thanks JasonB and deputydawg for your input. :)

Don S

Why start replacing things just because it's a "Cheep Fix"? Hell, it may not fix your problem at all. Do you have a VOM or test light and know how to test for power??????

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Trust me Don I am not made of money :( The reference to replacing things are for minor stuff. Plus it makes me feel better when I work on the boat. Let's call it relaxing. :D

Don S

You misunderstand me, I said don't start replacing things that aren't broke. Learn to use a test light and VOM to locate the problem. If it's not clicking, it may not be getting power, if you replace it, it still won't be getting power and you have now replaced a solenoid for nothing. You can get a very usable DVOM for the price of solenoid. Then with a VOM and a wiring diagram you can locate the "Real" problem. <br /><br />Here is a link to the Mercruiser service manual. It has details on troubleshooting the trim system.<br /> Service Manual 14 <br /><br />
Trim-tilt%20wiring%20Merc.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

I Agree with You Once Again, Don............<br /><br />The Difference between a Good Mechanic,+ a Mechanic is,.............Diagnosis............ ;) <br /><br />Anybody can Change Parts,+ Hope for the Best........ That Equals Wasted Money Everytime............. :( <br /><br />Mechanics is a Study of Common Sense...........<br />It takes an A, and a B, to make Something Happen.......Or, Several As,+ Bs,+ Cs,+ Whatevers....<br /><br />Diagnosis is Following the Trails,+ Seeing Where, or Where Not, <br />You have the Required Sequence of Actions to Make Happen whatever you're working On................ :confused: :D