Solenoid Click on cold start

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys. I have a 94 Dynasty Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II. I have been having an issue when I first go to start the engine all I get is a solenoid click. After a few cranks it eventually kicks in and starts up.

After I have driven the boat a bit it never happens for the rest of the day.

I am thinking its pry the battery is low on charge. Would you agree? Should I just replace that or start with checking the solenoids?

Thanks in advance.

Mitchell

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Re: Solenoid Click on cold start

Clean connections on batt, starter, solenoids. If it clicks and then gets a good contact and turns over good enough to start I wouldn't say it's the Batt. More like a bad connection or worn solenoid.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

okay...so why would this only happen the first start of the day if its a bad connection? That's what has me puzzled.

btech

Recruit

sounds like the armature in your starter is worn and the brushes are bad...... or your getting rust built up on your bendix shaft from water slinging up into it from the flywheel preventing the solanoid from engaging right away pull starter and check it or haveit checked

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That engine most likely has a slave solenoid on top of the engine. The slave solenoid is directly controlled by the key switch and then closes the contact that fires the starter. They have been known to become intermittant. If you have to "try" the key a few times to get the starter to crank, I would look at the slave solenoid first.

45Auto

Commander

Most likely scenario is as others have said, a worn out solenoid or worn out starter. If it's original to the boat, it's over 15 years old.

Probably time for a new starter.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

My thoughts on why the solenoid clicks then motor starts. Inside the solenoid cover there is a large washer that contacts the battery post and the post going to the starter. This washer can rotate on it's shaft. As the solenoid is energized, the washer moves around on the shaft until a good contact is made with the post. These post can be rotated 180 degrees and a new contact surface is exposed. Pull the solenoid and remove the cover. Check out the condition of the washer and posts. Be sure to draw an electrical sketch of where the wires go.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think my motor is a two solenoid system. Should I be looking at the solenoid on the block or on the starter itself?

Thanks,

45Auto

Commander

The only thing the solenoid on the block does is energize the solenoid on the starter. if you're hearing the click from the starter solenoid than the solenoid on the block is working.

My experience in your situation has always been a bad starter solenoid, and by that point the starter itself is usually pretty close to failing.

You can get a new marine starter (don't use an automotive one - it's not spark protected) from DB Electrical for $55 + $12 for shipping.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2232-...arter-50-863007-50-863007a1-sdr0253-6792.aspx

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am not sure which solenoid is making the click. Ill pay more attention next time I am at the lake. I assume the replacement starter comes with a new solenoid. For $55 but I might as well change the starter. From what I read you have to remove the starter to change the solenoid.

Any idea how accessible the starter is? Do I have to remove a bunch of things to get to it?

Thanks,
Mitchell

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure which solenoid is making the click.

Then stick your head into the engine compartment and have someone else turn the key, and listen for where the sound comes from.

Any idea how accessible the starter is? Do I have to remove a bunch of things to get to it?

Just look at it. Can you get to it? That is how accessible it is.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

durrr...if i had my boat here I wouldn't ask the question. My boat is at the lake like I said so I will look on Saturday.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys. I ended up going to the lake yesterday. I pulled the battery and the connections didn't look too bad. I also looked for the solenoid configuration. It appears there is only 1 solenoid on the system, from what I can tell. When I trace the positive it goes straight to the starter solenoid. Am I looking in the wrong place for the secondary? I also tried to listen to see where the click was coming from but of course the boat turned over on the first try.

I brought the battery home and got it tested at Advance Auto Parts.

It reads:
Volts: 12.65
CCA - 731
Rated CCA - 800

The guy at AA said it was good. Would you all agree?

When I put the battery back in I plan on taking some sandpaper to clean the connections really good. If i focus on the ground and positive to the stater is there anything I will be missing?

TIA
Mitchell

NHGuy

Captain

What motor is in front of that Alpha 1 gen II? I think there's a remote solenoid on most of them. Follow the wiring back from the on-starter solenoid, you'll find it.

mitchell2345

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not exactly sure. I do know its a 350 V8 Chevy. When looking at the cables that were on the starter positive on when straight to the battery and then there was another that was bundled up and headed to the rear of the motor. I couldn't really locate exactly where it went form there. I was assuming the secondary would be inline with the battery/starting cable.

EDIT - Did some more readying looking at the manuals that are sticky. According to the serial number it is a MCM 5.0L Alpha

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Follow the red/yellow wire on the small starter solenoid post back, should lead you to the slave.

BMK GUY

Cadet

I happen to have had the same problem with my Mercruiser 260 a few days ago. It was in terrible condition. I am still going through all the problems. New Starter, Solenoid, Breaker, Alternator, fuzzes, cleaning my grounds, and some basic wiring. Everything was frozen up with rust. But the same thing happened. I could bench test the starter and it worked fine. But when I engaged the ignition, it made a click. I thought it was the starter. But it was the, "Starter Solenoid Switch". The term solenoid can be a bit confusing. A solenoid is simply a device to step down the current. There is one on top of the Starter, One with the Distributor, and on a Mercruiser 260, a Solenoid Switch. Napa Auto Parts sells a whole line. Basically I just picked up a 2 post Switch. It worked fine except I still need to find out what starter to buy.

45Auto

Commander

A solenoid is simply a device to step down the current.

Actually, a solenoid is a device which allows a small amount of current (such as that supplied from an ignition switch) to control a large amount of current (such as that required by a starter). It doesn't do any "stepping down" of the current.

I could bench test the starter and it worked fine. But when I engaged the ignition, it made a click. ... Basically I just picked up a 2 post Switch. It worked fine except I still need to find out what starter to buy.

Okay, you lost me. If you bench test the starter and it works fine, and your new solenoid works fine, why are you trying to figure out which starter to buy?

BMK GUY

Cadet

That's what I was trying to say by, "step down". On the Starter issue, it a different thread. I don't want to confuse the issue for the guy tring to figure out what was causing the click.