'61 Johnson 40HP hard to start hot

gullake

Cadet
I've had three trouble free seasons from this old motor until now. It starts good the first time after launching, runs smooth and strong at any speeds, you can run it around the lake for hours, no problem. If you shut it off it is nearly impossible to restart. The last three times out it has left me somewhere short of the boat ramp and it's taking the fun out of my boating. It cranks normally but just won't fire. Will do this even if you shut it off and immediately try to restart or wait a few minutes while switching tube riders. A couple of times after extended cranking it has started. When/if it starts it fires and runs smooth, not like it's clearing out a flooded condition. Compression is 120psi both cyls. I have tried choke on, choke off pump primer bulb, disconnect fuel hose, lean and richen fuel mixture with high and low speed needles, even gave it a shot of carb spray in the throat while cranking. None of that seems to be any help getting it started. That made me think it wasn't a fuel issue and maybe I had a weak spark. This week I replaced plugs, points, condensers and coils, gapped points to .020, sync spark advance with throttle and visually checked all primary and secondary wiring. Engine doesn't show any sign of overheating when running. Today I stopped it after about an hour of running hard, spent 30 minutes trying to restart it without even firing once, paddled for about 5 minutes waiting for some help, tried it again, it cranked 20 seconds and fired up. I drove 2 miles back to the boat ramp at full throttle, shut it off and it never started again after that. Got home and it started right up in my driveway. I'm out of ideas right now. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '61 Johnson 40HP hard to start hot

You're gonna have to check the spark at the plugs when it woun't start. If you have spark, I would look into the carb when you shut it off and see if you have fuel running in when you shut it off hot.

gullake

Cadet
Re: '61 Johnson 40HP hard to start hot

Thanks for the reply. Nest time out I will take a spark tester with me like I should have so I can confirm yes or no on the spark when it won't start. I thought about the cut out switch but since it just kills the bottom cylinder it seems like the engine would at least try to start on one cylinder. It definitely seems to be heat related.