Buying a 2001 200hp Evinrude FICHT... Any comments / suggestions?

badcarma58

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at buying a 2001 21cc Logic with the 2001 Evinrude 200hp FICHT.

The woman I am buying it from lost her husband 3 years ago, and hasn't used the boat but a couple of times since. She stated that her husband took it to the dealer early on for a recall from Evinrude, but didn't know really any details.

I ran the boat on Lake Erie, and it seemed okay. Ran smooth. Shifted properly. Steady water stream coming out...

What should I know about the 2001 era FICHT motors? I've been reading some about special spark plugs, special oil, and other things. I've always heard that Evinrude motors were like tanks. Should I just consider a Mercury instead?

Thoughts... Comments... Please...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Buying a 2001 200hp Evinrude FICHT... Any comments / suggestions?

Time for you to learn how to use the Search function. Grab your favorite beverage and have a look see. Buying a FICHT of that era is a high risk purchase.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

AGREED with the above!!

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we have to egree all motor's have the own share of problems but for a good price you can buy one and the even has all the recalls fix't on it.
you can say nothing about power this motors have this is a whole new meaning about get up and go.
yes the need a ton of menaning.

badcarma58

Seaman Apprentice
Gasoline blends for 2 stroke motors?

Gasoline blends for 2 stroke motors?

Buying an Outboard. Evinrude 200hp FICHT 2 stroke. Never owned an outboard above 15hp before.

If I'm using gasoline from the car gas station, what fuel do I buy? 87 octane or 89 octane? Also, do I need to add valvetech additive for the 2 stroke. I've heard recomendations to add valvetech to 4 stroke motors because of the ethanol in todays gasolines. Is it a factor with a 2 stroke?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

the FICHTS were seriously reworked in model year 2000 are are called ficht "ram" . further the 60deg V6 150,175 had the most problems , not the 90deg V6 200,225,250.

the reworked motors seems to be far better than the first fichts.

but there are even original fichts from 1997-99 which are running good.

due to plugs and oil : yes, these engines are plug sensitive , must ge gaped and indexed. i had this experience on my own 2000 V6 FICHT RAM. oil should be a good one, with a carbon guard in it.

when something blows on this engine ( injector, EMM etc) it will be very expensive - i keep my fingers crossed it will not happen to me -and you will need a good technician, its a another story like on old carbed outboard.

when it comes to power and torque a healthy V6 FICHT is a beast, no doubt.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gasoline blends for 2 stroke motors?

All you need is 87 octane unleaded regular. Be sure that the oil you use is listed in your owner manual for that engine.

emoney

Commander

You're getting TONS of power, so grab on. Were it to be me, I'd do ALL the routine basics and assume it needs a lot. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum titled 'Top Secret' that has links to other helpful threads, one even titled something like, 'Starting an outboard that's been sitting'. Great reading. Again, if it were me, I'd start with the basic 3 tests: Compression/Spark/Fuel. Then I'd rebuild the carbs and change the impellar, draining the lower unit fluild in the process. New (read correct) plugs, and a thorough fuel system inspection. Anything short, and you're inviting problems to take residence in your "new" boat.

Tman22

Cadet

Just back away, just back away, RUN!!!

bamaburner

Recruit

I'm in the same boat as you. I have found a very nice boat with this same motor, and I've done about 3 days of reading. All motors will have problems, but I'm scared. It is risky. If you have a problem with the powerhead, you are looking from 3-4K on your "new" rig.

Do you buy already?

Looking at buying a 2001 21cc Logic with the 2001 Evinrude 200hp FICHT.

The woman I am buying it from lost her husband 3 years ago, and hasn't used the boat but a couple of times since. She stated that her husband took it to the dealer early on for a recall from Evinrude, but didn't know really any details.

I ran the boat on Lake Erie, and it seemed okay. Ran smooth. Shifted properly. Steady water stream coming out...

What should I know about the 2001 era FICHT motors? I've been reading some about special spark plugs, special oil, and other things. I've always heard that Evinrude motors were like tanks. Should I just consider a Mercury instead?

Thoughts... Comments... Please...

daselbee

Commander

That Logic is a plastic boat. Not fiberglass. Difficult to repair. Ficht in the 2000 timeframe are bad engines.

Look for another deal.

Tman22

Cadet

Do not buy. I have a 2001 150 with low hours and I'm having issues. Not worth the headach. Stay away from the Ficht.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

tman, what issues do you have what what did you fixed on your 2001 ficht?

Tman22

Cadet

it has 90 org hours. 48 of the hours are at trolling speed. 19 of the hours were at 1000 rpms the rest at differt rpm. Not really much use. Had the engine missing, replaced the main fuel pump b/c the pressure was below 20psi accord to my tech. Did not fix the prob, still missing. He cannot figure it out. Thinks its injectors now. Still had to pay for pump too, he tossed my old one how convient for him I'm out $1000. I got screwd. They have too many issues. Go with a Merc or a 4 stroke model.