riser installation question

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
merc 888, 1971, ford 302 v8. I'm using Perfect Seal on the gaskets and stainless steel plate between the riser and the manifold. Do I need anything besides the two hose clamps between the riser and the rubber hose connecting to the Y pipes? Seloc just says to clamp securely...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: riser installation question

Ayuh,..........<br />Just Plain Ole Worm-Drive Hose Clamps........<br /><br />You ain't got that old barge Floating yet ??<br /><br />Around Here, The water is as Hard as a Rock........

rebars1

Bondo, I knew someone would eventually ask me that question. I'm getting close. It's mostly the time/energy/money equation thing. I've decided to have a mechanic come and do the bellows/gimbal bearing and U joints this time, just to get this thing in the water. All the lakes are overflowing, however, most of the roads are closed due to washouts. Road openings and finishing the project should happen at the same time. I'm not comfortable taking the tri-hull in the ocean, although I've seen a very similar hull at the harbor. Hey, I've been having fun learning all this stuff!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Id use "Avaition Liquid Permatex" there or a "High Temp Silicone"

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are using the the Mercruiser gaskets with the gray, graphite looking coating on them, you shouldn't be using any sealer on them. It actually causes more problems and leaks than it cures.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what DonS says. and stay away from any silly cone. stuff should be outlawed for marine use, sometimes I wipe the inside of the rubber boots with perfect seal. mostly to lubricate it so it will slip on. some are very tight. best thing to do is follow the factory service manual. but if the gaskets are shiney gray and slippery feeling sealents will create more problems than they solve.

rebars1

Opps! I do have the shiney gray gaskets and two local marine mechs told me to use Perfect Seal between the riser and manifold. I have one installed already, but I can do the other one dry and keep an eye on them both for leaks (although I won't be able to see internal cross-leaks). There was some kind of rubbery sealant used before, when I disassembled them, but maybe the old gaskets were different.

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Almost all the manufacturers (both of gaskets and the iron) will ask you to not use sealer - as the others say, it just causes more problems than it fixes - even on the gaskets that aren't graphite or teflon impregnates.

rebars1

It sounds like I should remove the one riser and clean and re-install it dry. Just out of curiosity, what are the problems the sealant might cause?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you remove it its trash. buy another. with perfect seal you may not have any problems. with silly cone its a leak.