5.0LGXi Overheat

mfennig

Recruit
I have a 5.0L GXi. Engine SN: 4012061196.

Impeller went out on it a week ago. Replaced the impeller (With sierra 18-3020) and housing. Now the engine will not pull fresh water to the pump. I have back flushed all of the hoses between the boat and the lower unit. Everything flushes freely but still no prime. Any suggestions? I've double checked all of the connections and I am sure that I hooked it up properly. About the only thing that I can think of is that the O ring on the sea water pump is bad. I have double checked it and it is in tact, just not sure if its "tired."

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0LGXi Overheat

Get the right OEM impeller KIT and it will probably work. Lots of people lately using Sierra impellers that just won't work.

Attachments

• P-26-6-2 Impeller Kits.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 0

Wizard Of Eyez

Recruit
Re: 5.0LGXi Overheat

One thing to keep in mind... that impeller is not self priming. Since it is on board instead of in the outdrive the impeller needs to be below the water surface to become primed. I once tried srvicing an impeller (Sierra) with the boat barely backed into the lake. The impeller was still 4 feet above water level and would not work. Garden hose with muff may not do the trick either. Dunk the boat.

Also, when you replace the impeller there is a brass plate that rests against it. If you have not replaced it flip it over to the unused side for better blade contact. Volvo impellers are a very simple device and there is no reason the Sierra won't work. I have heard cases where replacing the impeller housing solved the prooblem too. Good luck.