Mercruiser 350 alternator hook-up question

popo4fun

Seaman
OK...so I have tried to look this up and with my reading I have noticed that the very helpful people like Don always want as much information as possible so I hope I dont bore you with too much detail. I have a 1993 Rinker 260 fiesta vee with a 350 merc engine with a bravo 2 outdrive. I had it at what I thought was a reputable mechanic to replace the boot bellows and when they called me back they stated they had found numerous other repairs and bill that was suppose to be 650.00 went to almost 2,000.00
One thing they claimed was my alternator was broken. They broke the bracket that attaches to the engine. They wanted 350.00 to replace so I told them I would do it myself. I am replacing Mercury alternator(pt # 12449) with a comparable mando unit sold by rare electrical on ebay.

http://www.rareelectrical.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/8466395/vpcsid/0/SFV/32696

OK so I hope that is enough information...my question is this. The back of the new unit is very diferent from the old mercury one and to top it off...I didnt get to see it taken apart so I am not sure what goes where. I have a red and purple wire that plugs right into the the new alternator...so I am good there...but I have an additional red wire...and an orange wire that I am not sure what they are or where they go. the black it the ground and I think I am sure the post it will need to go on. I hope this made sense ...I dont post alot but do think the guys on this form really know there stuff...so hope to hear from someone soon...lol

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 350 alternator hook-up question

I would bet this is what you had, and how to hook up the one you now have.

Had
attachment.php

Have
attachment.php

Attachments

• Had.jpg
    Had.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Have.jpg
    Have.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0

popo4fun

Seaman

I dont know how you know soo much stuff...lol but thanks and your right the only thing missing is the red wire which goes to the on board battery charger. I have it hooked up right then...but I still cant get the boat to crank over. Its in neutral..and the batery is fully charged, and the perko switch is in the right position. I am afraid they did something to the engine to make me have to take it back to them. Never will I use that shop again.

popo4fun

Seaman

Thanks Don....your a good guy. I appreciate your time in trying to help me with this matter. I will check all these tomorrow after work. Thanks again

popo4fun

Seaman

OK Don, I didint want to start a new thread so thought I would hope you might see this one again. I pulled the alternator to get a good pic cause pretty sure I had it hook up just like you said but still nothing...no click notta thing. I have 4 wires that are taped together that attach to the alternator. A red and a purple that have a type of easy connector on them. An orange and then a black. Below is a pic of my new alternator...was wonder also what the 2 plastic covered bolts are on the left.

Possible problem#2 Rememebr i mentioned a mechanic shop that I feel was just trying to get me to pay more and i came and got my boat before they "found" more problems? Well i have noticed a black wire coming from the MErcathode area just above the fuel filter/pump. I am not a mechanic but I do check my engine everytime before going out and I have never notice this loose black wire and I can tell where it use to be attached and I didint know if that might also be the reason for not turning over since I felt I had the alternator hooked up right. I will try to go get a pic of said wire while hoping to get a reply to this alternator pic.....thanks again to all of you who are willing to take time out and help.

2011-07-19 17.55.05.jpg

popo4fun

Seaman

OK here are the pics of the loose black wire. I traced it back to the bundle of wires from the "Mercathode" (pic) the black wire is not long enough so I dont think it was ever attached to the alternator...but I have a feeling the mechanic shop might have disconnected it because it was not loose like that last time I was in the boat...well at least not as obvious as it was now.

pic3.jpgpic2.jpg

popo4fun

Seaman

ok the post isnt limited to just Don replying....lol...anyone feel free to chime in!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you follow the link I gave you in reply #4 to troubleshoot the starting system? If you did, you would know why it doesn't start.