1993 merc 3.0

Hey guys, been awhile. Had to re register due to moving and email change. Had a quick question, I have a 93 VIP with a 3.0l I/O, 19 pitch prop, merc alpha II drive, and at wot-40mph the engine is only turning at 2200rpm. My sticker on the air cover says she should be turning at 4800-5200 r's. What should I be looking into? She runs great and just had a recent tune up. My only complaint other than the above is that every once and awhile when I shut her down she will diesel. Any help would be great. Thanks, Chad

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 merc 3.0

I would check the accuracy of your tach. Speed at WOT sounds pretty much right on with the 19* prop.

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with unsureboat guy. You can put an auto tuneup tach on for a quick check of the tack. You can also use a GPS to check the speedo. But sounds like you are running just right.

Btw my temp is a consistant 125. Seems low...No Stat in her?? According to the gps on my phone the speedo is right on at wot. I will throw a tach off and old truck I have on her next weekend and see what we got. But the tach seems to work al right from idle up thru the rpms.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Btw my temp is a consistant 125. Seems low...No Stat in her?? According to the gps on my phone the speedo is right on at wot. I will throw a tach off and old truck I have on her next weekend and see what we got. But the tach seems to work al right from idle up thru the rpms.

I'm not sure that a car tach will work.

Look at the back of your current tach...there may be a 4, 6 and 8 cylinder rotating selector. You might find yours on the wrong one, and while there rotate it gently several times to make better contact.

Happy boating!